fuel pump?

josue estrada

here's my latest dilemma. Winter came and the jeep began to hurt. Just within the past few days I've had the problem of not being able to start the jeep in the mornings or at nights when it is cold. usually a 5hr period will not allow the jeep to start. I usually have to hold the key over for maybe 6 seconds before it starts. What happens though is the dashboard lights will come on first and then ill have to hit on the accelerator to get it going. The lights also dim down as if not enough power. I got the battery checked and alternator. both are fine. Just got a new cat and tune up. Everything seemed fine until it got cold. I'm thinking it is a fuel pump issue. I got the cat because i knew it was bad and the jeep was having a rough time on the highway. especially going up hills. After getting the cat in, im still not getting all the power i should.
My headlights also went out. That is what worries me. I started smelling burning under right by where the dash lights are and i saw smoke. Not sure what burnt but it went away quickly. everything kept working fine. But now the dash lights only come on when they please. Sometimes its when the car warms up, other times right away, and other times after flicking them on and off a couple of times. All other lights work fine. Any ideas on the lights or the starting when cold problem?

after going out tonight and looking at the fuses it appears the headlight fuse is faulty. Im not sure though because it isn't popped but it does have bubble like circles forming on one side. As for the smoke burning i believe it was one of my yjs old dash speakers finallly giving in. It doesn't work anymore so my guess is that it burnt out.

From what you have described --- IT sounds like more of an Electrical issue than a Fuel Pump proiblem. Your Jeep is Fuel Injection-- Correct? Have you checked the Fuel Rail --- to see if you have Good pressure? Your flickering Headlights --- Definitely sounds like an Electrical Issue. Replace ANY Fuses that are Suspect. Clean and Tighten your Battery connections. ---- Check electrical connections -- for SIGNS of corrosion-- clean as Required. An inexpensive DC voltmeter (buy at Radio Shack or Wal Mart) Can HELP quite a bit with checking-out Electrical Issues. Did you say the Battery has been LOAD Tested ?? Make sure it can deliver RATED CCA. (Cold cranking Amps). Important -- especially in a cold climate. Has the JEEP been TUNED-UP recently ? You mentioned -- Hard Starting. -- Lack of power on Hills ? A Tune-up -- might help these Issues. Keep us Posted -- Good Luck -- JB

Your HARD STARTING IN COLD --- Could be a case of -- WEAK IGNITION. Is this Engine the: 2.5L. F.I. Motor?? Some suggestions on the Hard Starting WHEN Cold Issue: 1. Is the Ignition Timing set correctly? (Factory Specs) 2. Replace Dist. Cap, Rotor, and Plugs. 3. Check Plug Wires -- IF BAD -- Replace. 4. Replace Air Cleaner. 5 Replace Fuel Filter. ----- On Headlight Issue--- Follow suggestions in Preious Post. Check ALL wiring associated with Headlights. --- Pay particular attention to GROUNDS -- No signs of CORROSION?? ALL Wiring --- Clean and Tight? (No damage to wiring?). Keep us Posted --- That is pretty much it. --- JB

it is the 2.5. already replaced plugs. air cleaner replaced as well. fuel filter has been replaced as well. going to check the ground and every wire out there today. ill keep you guys posted

found out the headlight problem was a burnt headlight switch. lol. problem solved. as for the not turning on when cold issue, that'll be tomorrow

Back