funny noice from my 4.0

Saleen4971

ive got a 93 grand cherokee laredo with a 4.0 I6, adn it makes this sort of, lawn-mower ish "wop" when its cold, thats worse in the winter, and gets faster with higher RPM's. still cant figure you what it is, but i do know that when we added lucas oil stabilizer, it helped it ALOT, any ideas on whats causign this? or any way to stop it form happnening???

You mean likea sucking air sound? or more of a ticking sound. Wop, sort sounds like it is a wind sound.

its not a ticking noise. liek i said, teh "wop". sounds maybe kind of like air rushing otu of something, but im almost positive theres no exhaust leak. and the luca oil stabilizer helped it alot, so im still nto sure. coudl it maybe be soem sort of leaking in the engine? this ones got a few of my mechanics stumped, and its pissing me off!!!!

hmm, um, well that i don't have a clue. I take it you don't have any sort of a aftermarket intake do you? I've got a firend that has a transam with a intake and when you step on teh gas is Sucks in, and you can hear it over the engine. Hows your vacum system? 4wd work? Is your A/C stuck on, maybe it's just clicking on and off.
Those are just my ideas off of the top of my head. I've just thinking about what uses air and could leak.
Hope that helps

Back