gearing questions

Dan9

Hey guys, i am unsure of what gearing ratio i have. i am assuming it is just the 3.07 gears but want to be sure. i really have no desire to regear unless there is some cheap way to do it. just curious, how much is a regear? anyway, i am planning 32" tires, should i stick with 31s because of the gearing? if it isnt too big of a deal i would probably bump the lift to a 3.25" lift and throw some 33s on there. thanks for any help.

EDIT: Sorry, i forgot to say what my jeep is. i have an 03 wrangler x. as far as i know, it is completely stock.

Look at the Differential cover bolts on the front and rear.. there should be a tag attached that has the gear ratio on it.

sorry, this may be stupid but i looked and i dont see anything. am i lookin in the wrong place?

Front Axle Gear Ratios on 03 TJ:
3.07, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 ,4.11
Rear Axle Gear Ratios:
3.07, 3.73, 4.11, 4.56
If the Tags are no longer attached to the differential cover bolts, you can pull the Differential covers off, the gear ratios are etched on the ring gear and pinion..thats the only other way i know how to I.D. the Gear Ratio.

Look at the diff cover at the center of either axle. Find the bolts that hold the cover to the axle. The tags will be under the bolts, easily readable once you clean them off. It's possible you can't see them for the dirt and/or grease.

alright, thanks to steelheadz, i now know i have 3.73 gear ratio:). is that pretty much perfect for 32s and decent for 33s? i will probably go with 32s but would like to know for the future:D. or is 32s even too much and should i go with 31s? thanks guys

alright, thanks to steelheadz, i now know i have 3.73 gear ratio:). is that pretty much perfect for 32s and decent for 33s? i will probably go with 32s but would like to know for the future:D. or is 32s even too much and should i go with 31s? thanks guys
Yours came with 3.73?? wow i wish mine did

Since we are talking about gears, what is a good gear for 35's with a straight 6?.

I'm gonna go with 4.88 with my 35's because its in the power section and well i need that power for pulling campers,trailers,boats, etc...

Back