Getting cold feet about buying a Jeep tomorrow

archer75

This is really the best Jeep out of all the ones i've checked into so far and meets all my criteria. So I plan on checking it out tomorrow and if everything is in good order, but it.

But i'm getting cold feet about it. Here's the deal, I have a 98 Dodge Dakota 4x4, SLT+, club cab, 318, etc. lots of mods and what not. Only 44,000 miles on it and i'm the original owner. If you know anything about dakotas and this particular year you would know they have lots of troubles with the ball joints and alignment.
I replaced the ball joints 2 years ago and just had to replace them again recently. I also had to replace all the control arm bushings and after a couple of months I believe at least some of them are bad again. Though the repairs and parts are still under warranty. I am also getting a nasty squeal from under the hood from the belt when it's cold. Belt is brand new, i'm actually on my 4th. All pullys are good yet the sound persists. And I got a passenger side header leak but I believe I can fix that easy enough.
What really ****ed me off is when the lower control arm bushings needed to be replaced I had to replace the entire control arm as you just can't buy the bushings by themselves. I looked all over the place. Nobody sells them for the 4x4. Only on the 4x2 model. I could however replace just the upper bushings. So I had to spend $1200 on 2 lower control arms just because the bushings were bad.
And I can't get a good alignment on it. Never have been able to.

So basically i'm tired of dealing with this truck. Though it is paid for.

So I want something more reliable. Something with a large supply of parts available and for cheap. Jeep Wranglers fit this and i'm also told they are easy to work on. And it would also give me better gas mileage. I only get 10mpg in the truck and I have a specialty computer chip in there and have to use premium gas.

So I found a Jeep i'm intrested in and can test drive it tomorrow. I already have the load and the credit untion even cut the check already and gave it to me in the amount of $12,775. The dealership is asking $13,995 for this Jeep. Low blue book is $11,775 and high is around $15,800.
I am hoping to get $10,000 for my truck. I will sell it myself and not use it as a trade in.

The Jeep is as follows:
2000 Wrangler Sport - Grey
4.0 6 cylinder
39,325 miles on it(carfax shows only 1900 miles on it since Feb 05.)
Dana 44 in the rear with 3.73 gearing

And the usual crap:
Power Steering; Power Brakes; Alloy Wheels; Gauge Cluster; Tachometer; Air Conditioning; Tilt Steering Wheel; Tinted Glass; Console; Carpeting; Dual Sport Mirrors; Front Bucket Seats; Reclining Seats; Cloth Upholstery; Center Arm Rest; Rear Window Wiper; Driver Side Remote Mirror; Tire Carrier; Roll Bar; AM-FM Stereo Radio; Towing Package;

Picture is here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/archer75/?action=view&current=jeep.jpg

So what do you think? Is it a worthy upgrade?

I've always wanted to get a jeep. I'm just going to miss the ability to haul stuff easily in my truck. Mainly for trips to home depot and camping. But I think in the long run the Jeep would be more reliable and if it isn't I can probably repair most issues myself. At least I hope so.

Last edited:

I'd say snatch that puppy up and go wheelin'! Sounds like a good deal to me, and looks great. How are the skid plates underneath? Any scrapes, scratches, or dents on them? With that mileage, I'd say it's worth it.

:agree:

All I ever owned were trucks......but always wanted a Jeep - ever since I've been drivin'. Trust me, you'll adjust to hauling things.......it's truly amazing what you can fit in/on a Wrangler!! I haul an upright bass around in mine all the time (along with a guitar, a flute, a hammered dulcimer, a bowed psaltry, various music and mike stands, recording equipment). Also haul lots and lots of firewood. Things from Lowes go up on the rack. Amazing vehicles!!!! Buy it and don't look back!!

mud4feet said:
:agree:
I haul an upright bass around in mine all the time (along with a guitar, a flute, a hammered dulcimer, a bowed psaltry, various music and mike stands, recording equipment). Also haul lots and lots of firewood.

sounds like a Hemi commercial:purple: LBR

Ok I went to test drive that Jeep today and decided not to get it. The handling felt rather poor. I expected the ride to be bouncy but this was down right squirrelly. Alot of side to side motion.

Also the driver side head light was cracked, it had some rust in the engine compartment. There were wet spots underneath the carpeting and the tires had very little tread left.

So I went to another dealership to test drive a Jeep wrangler 03 to see if the odd handling was just a Jeep thing or due to that lift kit. And handling was MUCH improved. Much better. I don't know what lift kit it was but it was no good. I also noticed that the gas pedal was quite sensitive, I launched the thing numerous times. Much different than my truck. The interior of the 2003 was better than the 2000 though they both looked very much the same. I can't quite place the differences.

All in all I liked it and I think I will continue to shop for the right one.

Probably a wise decision.........that thing look lifted when I looked at the pic....better to do that stuff yourself. I own an '03 (pretty much stock) and she handles like a dream........I truly love driving around these steep and curvy roads. I smoke most all of the "SUV's" once we hit the back roads!!! Look around and you'll find one that "speaks" to you............you will not regret it! If you want a little stiffer ride, look at YJ's......just overlook the square headlights :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........they're great vehicles, too!! Best of luck! Hope to see ya Jeepin' soon!!

Personally I avoid used vehicles with lifts, I like to find 'em bone stock. Typically you will pay a little more in the end to do it yourself, but you'll know it was done right (or at least if your junk doesn't work you can only blame yourself :lol:).

I always wonder if the sale is because the owner dumped too much money into the wrong combination of mods and has decided to cut their losses and start over with a different vehicle.

OutOfStep said:
Personally I avoid used vehicles with lifts, I like to find 'em bone stock.

Absolutely.

That seemed kind of pricey anyhow. The Dealer's thinking is the lift and tires make it more valuable, but in reality it lessens the book value. Besides, you don't know how bad that thing was abused.

Look for a stocker.

Good choice, keep looking! When we bought our first wrangler it had a pro comp(biggest POS lift kit I have ever driven)4 inch and 33's. We thought that some of the mods had been done and we could continue from where the previous owner left off, wrong. After a few trips offroad it started clunking and making funky noises. Norrowed it down to control arms but in the end it would have been better and cheaper to just start from stock since we threw away everything that was concidered "modified" when we got it. Good luck with you hunt!

Back