Going in water..

Bailey2oo4

I have a 74 cj5 with the original amc 304. Do i need to do anything to the motor so i can go in water about as deep as the tires? Or is it a closed system with nothing to worry about unless i get water in the carb?

I had a 74 CJ5 with the 304 as well. It was a good running engine. I forded steams that were up over my 35's. What you need to watch out for is speed, the mechanical fan and as you stated getting water in the carb. Also, make sure all of your drivetrain vent tubes are up high. (ex. diff. vents, trans. and t-case vents ). Hope this helps...

That's what i was wanting to know if there were any vent lines that maybe i needed to replace with longer ones.

Cleaning out the mud after your done. From the openings in the frame fins of the radiator, drivetrain and tires.
The fan could be pulled into the radiator.
Water in the transmission, transfer case and rear ends.

Before attempting any sort of water / mud crossing or finding yourself in one, you at least want to check all your vent lines. I have find them dry rotted, split in two or just discounted (?). Even if they are intact, look at the vent cap itself, it’s suppose to be a check valve “like” design, but don’t depend on them working as a check valve. As Catoctin Jeep mentioned, mount them high as possible.
The front and rear are simple to find. The center of the differential should have a tube coming off of it (or at least a hole where the vent line goes). On the rear, it’s normally run up into tub corner. The front is typically run to the top radiator mounting screw. Depending on your set up, you may only have one vent on the transmission and transfer case, so look closely. As it is normally pinned to the top of the transmission hump, this is one(s) you may want to reroute to a higher location, especially if you plan on regular water crossings.
Other than the fan kicking up water, keep in mind your wheel bearings. They don’t particularly like being submersed in water (especially if they are heated up). Good news is after you re-pack them a time or two, you’ll see that they are relatively easily to do. Lastly, keep in mind that you have an open knuckle design front axle. Water, mud and grit are going to easily enter the axle tube opening and this is why they have an inner axle seal. Every once in awhile (like when re-packing the bearings) carefully clean the tubes out while the axles are removed.

Last edited:
"Going in Water"
When I see posts regarding fording and such I remeber back when I was in the Grunts, Being a Motor T driver. Our Jeeps (if it looks like one, smells like one and leaks like one, it's a Jeep in my book) there was a snorkel not only for the intake, but for the exhasut as well. I reckon it was to prohibit the results of cramming a bananna up the tailpipe.

5166847079_7759fa355b_z.jpg

there was a unique way to come off an LST or other vehicular landing craft when driving an M151 Jeep. The procedure was (depending on state of tune) to rev the motor up with the foot throttle (not WFO but enough to keep from stalling) and pull out the hand throttle to lock the revs. Then standing on the driver entry to the tub, using your right hand to steer and keep your chin up. Half the time mine found a dam hole (blub blub)

Looks like this is how it was done in my Dad's time in the Corps too;
7489989522_cca338a47f_z.jpg
(1939-69) God Bless the Corps and all whom serve therein.

Last edited:
Back