gonna lift her dont know who to use

Tagg

parts

hey guys and gals i have a 89 yj 4.2 some engine mods ...i have recently aquired dana's front and rear with 4.10 for my jeep and gonna lift her but ther are so many companies and options

i know i want to clear 33 and it must be reliable in the winter gets verry cold up here... dont want to go soa du to axle wrap .....
pls help first timer

RE: Who

re 4" lift kit, add a 1" body and you could clear 35's easy. a sye would be a great investment as well

3" of lift will clear 33's. Rubicon Express, BDS, Skyjacker, etc. make good lifts. Procomp and Rancho are good, but their springs are stiff making for a bumpy ride. Rough Country is terrible.

RE: Re: RE: Jeep recovery gone wrong.

hey GaryMB thanks for letting me know about rough country .... i was looking at rubicon but it gets pricy... if any one has some thing to say about bds suspensions i would like to hear about it .....

RE: Rim protection

BDS kits are one of the best ones made for the money. Gives you a great ride if you don't over torque the shackles. I would also recommend getting the 1" lift shackle with the BDS kit to clear the military wrap.

RE: Cheap windshield motor needed

www.rustysoffroad.com has a good YJ 4" kit for the money. It's what I run and the springs are strong with military wraps. Run about $400.

You need at least 4" to clear 33" in a YJ, you'll rub with anything less or any spring sag.

Rancho and ProComp are some stiff riding setups. Don't discount Rough Country or HellCreek Suspensions, I'd buy them over Rancho or ProComp. Hopefully others with RC or HC will speek up.

I'll agree that the rusty's kit can be ok, it depends on where they got there springs from that time. As for Rough country I beg to differ. I have had way to many problems with there kits

RE: Re: RE: Flex-a-Lite Customer Service

About 49/50 posts on this board about Rough Country say that it is terrible. The guys at 4 Wheel Parts will tell you NOT to buy RC if you ask them about it. I have either ProComp or Rancho on my CJ right now (can't remember, the Jeep came lifted), and with the RS7000 shocks cranked up to the stiffest setting, the ride is definately bumpy but barable. The springs have minimal sag, unlike Rough Country springs. They give the Jeep incredible handling, flex well (especially for how stiff they are), and let me hit the trails that much faster/harder. My preference of lifts, in order from most preferred to least, would be: Rubicon Express, Black Diamond Suspension, Skyjacker, Fabtech, Rancho, ProComp, HellCreek, shackle lift, body lift, add-a-leafs, Rough Country.

RE: Re: Laughter.... the color of life

I'll second BDS and Rubicon Express. I'll also second staying clear of Rough Country. Yeah, RE can be pricey. If you want top quality get their Extreme Duty kit - it's probably the best SUA kit out there. If you don't want to spend that much I'd get the BDS kit over thier standard duty kit.

As for Hell Creek, they use Rough Country hardware but they make their own YJ springs. Decent product but for a few more $$$ RE or BDS would be my choice.

ECOR is right about the shackles. I went with a 3.5" BDS and shackles that were 1" longer than stock. It netted a hair over 4" lift and had plenty o' room for 33's. I have nothing for praise for the one I had - from ride quality to flex and the lifetime warranty is a nice plus ;)

I got a Rough Country kit for my CJ7 by accident b/c I thought Hell Creek made their own springs. If you order from them, ask before you buy. Their website did not say anything about the kit being RC at the time... Anyway, I have had this kit for 6 months or so. It was bumpy as heck when I first started driving it, but it has softened up alot. The ride is not bad at all anymore, and it has not sagged other than just slight settling / break-in as others have reported. I know no other brand to give a comparison, but from my sample size of 1, RC isn't terrible.

Back