Grand Cherokee: Lost oil pressure/ Sloshing sound

Jake89

Let me just start off by saying that I am so glad that i found this website and i cannot wait to hear what everyone has to say. If Im like any of you out there, than you know that this is my baby and i would be distraught if i had to part with her.

Here we go, I drive a 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7L V8. I was just driving home when the check engine light appeared on my dash, i immediately notcied that my oil pressure read 0. So i pulled over the car and stopped the engine. I checked under the hood, no smoke, odd smell or any indication of serious trouble. I started the vehicle up again, still no oil pressure, but now i noticed a sloshing sound coming from the floor of the passngers side. I make it the rest of the 300 yards home and park my car. I let it sit for awhile while i troubleshooted on the internet. After some searching i went out and started the car, the oil pressure returned to normal and there was no sloshing. I then removed the radiater cap to burp the cooling sytem and when i removed it it was like i was removing a pop bottle cap, and some air came out. I idled the car for about 15 minutes to remove the rest of the air and things seemed to return to normal.

What the heck happened? Should i bring the car somewhere to get it looked at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Last edited:

Check your Oil and make sure it's not mixed with antifreeze. if it is, it would be a light brown in color. Did it Overheat?, what led you to "burp" the air out of the cooling system?.

The Oil seems to be fine, there was no overheating whatsoever and also, i remember now that when i lost oil pressure it said "check gages" and NOT "check engine" like i had said before.
Im baffled.

With the symptoms you described, when the Check Gauges lamp turned on, it's more likely that you have a failing oil pressure sending unit, Granted that there was no knocking noise on the engine when this occured. if there was, i would take it to a Shop and get the oil pressure tested.

I would agree with SteelHead.......sounds like a bad sending unit if all other symptoms are as described (no overheating/knocking, full oil). As for the "sloshing" sound, I can't really say. Paranoia does that to me sometimes!:shock:

I would agree with SteelHead.......sounds like a bad sending unit if all other symptoms are as described (no overheating/knocking, full oil). As for the "sloshing" sound, I can't really say. Paranoia does that to me sometimes!:shock:

Those little people messi'n with your head again?:purple::lol::purple:

Everything seems fine today, engine runs solid. Ive been told about the sending unit today also so i will have that looked at. As for the sloshing sound, i hear it again today a couple of times, so i dont think im loosin my marbles just yet haha, but i was told that air in the cooling system could be the cause, so i purged it again for a half hour today with the heat on full. Seemed to do the trick.

Thanks a bunch everybody

Cheers,

jake

There is a bleeder screw on the water outlet if you want to properly purge the air from the cooling system. i beleive it's an 8mm hex.

Back