Grinding in Reverse

Jizeep

sometimes when I put the jeep into reverse it makes a grinding noise as I am pulling back on the stick. I can feel it grinding and it eventually slows down and I can slip it into gear....why is it doing this? At first I thought maybe I was just shifting it in too quick or not having the clutch in enough....but I tried all that and it's not the problem. Anyone got any clue as to what is going on ?[addsig]

If it's anything like mine... hold the clutch down, go into 1st and then shift to reverse...that might work. -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

what year is your Jeep?

Either reverse doesn't have a syncro or the syncro is broken.

if it doesn't have a syncro putting it into 1st gear 1st should help

like said.

has it always done this?[addsig]

Mine's the same...5'th seems to work the best for me. I've been told it's a very common problem with the jeeps.[addsig]

Same here and I just put in a new clutch and presure plate. I also refaced the flywheel and I want this problem to go away. I have been told by a very good jeep repairman that we need to ad a new slave cylinder or master cylinder or make the clutch push rod a bit longer. if any of this help I will relay the info. Good Luck![addsig]

I had that problem with mine, seemed to be getting worse. Checked the clutch fluid level and it was way down ....... bled the line and presto, she goes into reverse very easily. I haven't ground anything yet )going into reverse) after doing this.

Craig[addsig]

i have had the same problem and in my case the pushrod between the slave cylinder and the clutch throwout lever was bended.

because of this the clutch could not release copletely and shifting was hard or impossible.

check this first,it's cheap to repair yourself if you have a bit of fantasy you can even

make it adjustable...

if it's not this check your hydraulics....

maybe it's not the expensive clutch-plates....

let me know if the throwout lever pushrod is bended or needs to be replaced,i'll

give you my secret
image-missing.png
improvement rod thing,but we must do it by phone because i can't explane it this way(i'm dutch),let me know if you need my number...
image-missing.png

darkwolf[addsig]

Back