Grinding/Vibration in 4 Lo - TJ

PhattyX

My 97 TJ , manual trans, has a grinding noise and vibration in 4 LO when moving. You can feel it in the transmission shifter and in the gas pedal. In 4 Hi, I swear I notice it very slightly, but my girlfriend (who drives it just as much) says I'm crazy and it's only in 4 LO. In 2WD, it's not there at all.

I do have manual hub locks and the vibration exists locked or unlocked.

There's a couple of guesses I have, but any suggestions on the places to start looking? Is it possible that the transfer case isn't fully engaging 4 LO?

It started about an hour into wheeling... which is how we noticed it, but we didn't tackle anything that would have "directly" caused something to break. You know, that wasn't already messed up. It just sort of developed while we were out, as opposed to "bang!"... Uh-oh, now something's grinding.

Thanks all!

-X

Symptoms changed:

I hosed the Jeep down to try and get a good look underneath and see if anything jumped out at me. I got down and sprayed off the steering parts, wheels/hubs, and driveshaft/axle.

Nothing looked out of whack. Now, the grinding noise is only when I turn and does it turning either way. It still only does it in 4wd Lo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-X

DO you have a body lift?Mine will do that from time to time and it is because I am not getting it all the way into 4 lo.If you have a body lift with out a drop bracket you may be running into the same problem.

Symptoms changed:

I hosed the Jeep down to try and get a good look underneath and see if anything jumped out at me. I got down and sprayed off the steering parts, wheels/hubs, and driveshaft/axle.

Nothing looked out of whack. Now, the grinding noise is only when I turn and does it turning either way. It still only does it in 4wd Lo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-X

is this at any speed? or does it happen only when you go over 25-35?

DO you have a body lift?
No body lift, but my first thought was it not settling into 4LO correctly. However, I checked again and it seems to sit in fine. There's no play in handle when it's in 4LO. When yours grinds, what do you do?

is this at any speed? or does it happen only when you go over 25-35?
Happens at any speed.

I'm at a loss. At this point, I going to drain the transfer case to see if there's flakes... since it only happens in 4LO. I figure if it were steering, it'd happen anytime. If it were in the front axle/joints, it'd at least happen in 4Hi.

Thanks for the input, guys.

-X

When mine does it I just pull back on the shifter,mine has some play in it and seems to get bumped by my leg when off roading some times.

im thinking that the front u joints should b checked it may not happen when ur driving in 4 hi bc there isn't that much torque on them. the added stress from 4 low wheeling may have caused a little vibe. just a guess though. it may b worth it to take a look. or front wheel bearings.

im thinking that the front u joints should b checked it may not happen when ur driving in 4 hi bc there isn't that much torque on them. the added stress from 4 low wheeling may have caused a little vibe. just a guess though. it may b worth it to take a look. or front wheel bearings.

That's what I was thinking but usually that only happens when you go over 25 mph. At least in my experience and some of my buddies.

No body lift, but my first thought was it not settling into 4LO correctly. However, I checked again and it seems to sit in fine. There's no play in handle when it's in 4LO. When yours grinds, what do you do?

Happens at any speed.

I'm at a loss. At this point, I going to drain the transfer case to see if there's flakes... since it only happens in 4LO. I figure if it were steering, it'd happen anytime. If it were in the front axle/joints, it'd at least happen in 4Hi.

Thanks for the input, guys.

-X

no problem, Keep us updated. I'm instrested in seeing how this turns out.

Back