Newbie 4 wheel drive question

Dawgvet06

01 TJ, 4.0 L, 3 speed auto trans. I have owned the jeep a month. I took it out the other night to run it through some 4 wheel drive tests, learning how to engage, disengage 4wd, etc. Shifting the TC from 2-hi to 4-hi works fine, and I know 4-hi works because I can get that torquey feel through the steering wheel when turning at slow speeds. Going from 4-hi to N works fine, but I cannot for the life of me get the TC to shift into 4-lo. I have tried doing it as the owners manual says - rolling at 2-3mph, trans in N, I have tried it witht he trans in N with the Jeep stopped, and I have tried putting the trans in N, turning the Jeep off, shifting into 4-lo and then starting back up. I am not pausing in the N position on the TC when I shift either. It just won't let me shift the TC from N into 4-lo. Going back to 4-hi and 2-hi work fine. Is it a linkage issue? I find it hard to believe its the TC with 4-hi working fine.

Thanks for any advice.
JW

I would tend to agree with you that it's a linkage issue. I've got a manual transmission, but never really had any problem getting into/out of 4-lo. Always do it in neutral, not always rolling, but never had a problem. Maybe someone else can chime in an help you more.

I've got an auto and it does take some work to get into 4lo. I have to go between drive, reverse and neutral, and sometimes I just put it in drive and hold up on the shifter as the Jeep slowly rolls forward.

Take a look at your 4wd shifter and see if you are pulling it so far up that it hits the plastic and can't go any higher. If so then you need to adjust your linkage.

Do you happen to have a body lift? That's the most common reason that you can't shift into 4lo.

I agree this sounds like a linkage issue. If you verify it is, my suggestion is to install one of these: Novak's NP / NVG Shifter Assembly for Jeeps. My '03 Rubicon was always a bear to shift into 4L from day one. It got to the point where even the dealer couldn't get it adjusted right; either would not shift into 4L or would pop out as soon as their was pressure on the driveline. Finally installed the Novak #SK3X-R Shifter Assembly for the NP241OR RockTrac Transfer Case and haven't had a problem since. Shifts smooth as butter. One of the best mods I've ever invested in. Can't say enough how happy I am with how this works.

Down side, I did have my friends at All J Products in Big Bear do the install as (1) doing this with the rig on a hoist was a lot easier than trying to reach up off your back from the floor, (2) the Nth Degree Tummy Tucker needed to be dropped to get good access, and (3) my ham-hock hands just don't like working in such tight spaces.

If you are tired of dinking around with the terrible TJ transfer case shift linkage, Novak Jeep Conversions has the solution.

I've got an auto and it does take some work to get into 4lo. I have to go between drive, reverse and neutral, and sometimes I just put it in drive and hold up on the shifter as the Jeep slowly rolls forward.

Take a look at your 4wd shifter and see if you are pulling it so far up that it hits the plastic and can't go any higher. If so then you need to adjust your linkage.

Do you happen to have a body lift? That's the most common reason that you can't shift into 4lo.

Good to have an "auto" guy post in, Terry! I was hoping I wasn't giving bad advice. Good advice (like here on the "Z") beats the hell out of throwing money at parts here, parts there, when all you needed was someone who's been there/done that! Thanks for posting in............LOVE the "Z"!!!

Thanks everyone. Guess I've got some things to check out this weekend. Terry, it is pretty close to the stop, and it has not been lifted.

'Night all.

JW

The shift into 4lo is not a straight pull...there is a slight sideways movement required while pulling up and rearward on the transfer case shifter. My 02 can be a bit stiff pulling into 4lo, but if I take care to follow the jog in the patttern, it goes a lot easier.

Welcome to the wonderful 01 jeep year Jim,
You have a couple of problems that your facing here. Number one its an 01, like mine with a auto-transmission. During 2000 jeep was messing with the tunnel size looking for a way to fit the NV42E automatic transmission(2003 4 speed Rubicon) into its jeeps so your transmission tunnel is slightly bigger than a 2000. You have either a NV30E or NV32 and it fits funny. Jeepergeo has the right suggestion there is a slight jog from N to 4lo. Also you need to have it rolling slightly like you tried 2-3MPH.
If you cant get it then the inside arm of the sifter bracket has been bent and you will need to have the shifter linkage adjusted. This is done from under the jeep, moving the shifter into 4lo and adjusting the shift linkage to be tight there. I have had to do this three times in 11 years. I just throw mine on a buddies lift and have him shift it into 4lo as I sit in the jeep doing the same thing, then he adjusts the shifter arm to be tight in 4lo then I can shift it inside the jeep. The first clue that its going to be needed to be adjusted is when it starts to pop out of 4 lo on the trail.

The only fix available is an aftermarket, Phall posted the link, Novaks seems to work the best.

Back