Guess the noise

superj said:
jets to big? but if you are turning the mixture screws and nothing is changing then the carb is messed up.

I looked down into the throttle body and at idle you can see gas pouring in. I'm not the best mechanic in the world. But I'm pretty sure Mr.Gasket has Mr. Kicked-the-bucket. Is it possible that with the extra fuel dripping in and the new 50,000 volt ignition system is what's keeping the revs up?

From reading this thread as well as the newer, it is my opinion that your throttle plates are open too far.

The speed screw on the DGES must be set within 1/2 turn in.

You would be best served to tune per the REDLINE tune document and then if you insist on or ever find the need in using a FPR install it after dialing in the carb.

mcmud said:
From reading this thread as well as the newer, it is my opinion that your throttle plates are open too far.

The speed screw on the DGES must be set within 1/2 turn in.

You would be best served to tune per the REDLINE tune document and then if you insist on or ever find the need in using a FPR install it after dialing in the carb.

So I started looking at the linkage and the throttle plates. Long story short... Very short. It was the idle jets. Now that I'm done feeling silly the jeep is running so smooth I have to check the gauges to make sure it's still running!

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP! I love this site!

Please do tell how idle jets have an effect with remedying this "I looked down into the throttle body and at idle you can see gas pouring in."

mcmud said:
Please do tell how idle jets have an effect with remedying this "I looked down into the throttle body and at idle you can see gas pouring in."

The wrong size idle jets make a change in vacuum. In my case my vacuum was really strong and the jets way to small causing a bump up in vacuum. This vacuum was strong enough to pull the fuel out of the bowl I'm assuming. Switched to 60mm from 45mm and bingo bango she runs smoother than my gfs new Acura. Now I can get back to taunting the local hummers.

(I'm referencing 3 different websites set up for the weber 38/38 deges specifically)

duh, i skimmed and didn't catch the 45 to 60 jets part. i am glad your rolling again though.

superj said:
duh, i skimmed and didn't catch the 45 to 60 jets part. i am glad your rolling again though.

Me too! I felt a hate crime coming on from the frustration. Poor ol buck hour almost became an insurance check. Hahaha

I already started a thread on this subject. But I picked a terrible subject title. Thought I might get more responses with a better title. This is the sound of a sick 77 258. It has new- wiring, carb, coil, alt, wires, cap, intake/exhaust gaskets, belts, battery, plugs, fuel filter, belts. Pretty much every thing else looks to be about 10 years old+ and this is what she sounds like

Sounds like a P-51 rolls royce merlin idling to me!

Back