Hand throttles ... anybody using them?????

craigmpak

I'm really curious .... how many of you with sticks have a hand throttle setup in their Jeeps? I installed mine about 3 weeks after I bought my Jeep and I absolutely love it. I can't imagine trekking offroad without one, makes life so much easier.

They are so easy to make too ..... spent 2 bucks at a junkyard for 2 bike shifters and 8 bucks for the cable at a bicycle shop ...... worth every penny!

Craig

[addsig]

Post a how to in the how to section! That would be a good thing for all to be able to read and do. I want one and cant see the expence of a store bought set up. Thanks Tug

PS I like your avatar[addsig]

I would also like to know how to rig one up. I've only seen two in my life, one was on a 74 cj and it looked factory (crome handle built into dash behind the steering wheel. Not cheap at all) and the second on a 1998 yj (tj, sorry can't get the letters straight here) The one on the 1998 was a bicycle shifter that was mounted on the shifter. It looked cool. I've got a stick shift xj and have been talking (mostly with myself) about bolting one up. [addsig]

I´ve got a cheapy in my one ton, wasn´t worth the effort to install it. The bicycle shifter sounds like a good low buck alternative. I had one in a tractor (farm type) that looked like a hand brake and had a screw cap, to set it in any position. I´ve got one in my YJ now (I found) it´s a T handle under the dash, that screws out, about three or four turns for about 700-800 RPM´s extra, then turns to a cable (pull) from about 1400 Rpm to whatever. I think it also came, from some type of farm tractor.

I really like the sound of the bicycle shifter, I´m gonna have to try that one out.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ive never heard or seen one of these
image-missing.png
what do they do and how do you install them?[addsig]

Mine's a simple bike thumb shifter, mounted below the t-handle on my 5spd shifter. It was $7 from a local bike shop with the cable. I wanted to run the cable next to the shift tower and along the bellhousing, but ended up going through the firewall instead.

ExtremeYJ, it's basically a way to manually control the rpms, I use it to keep the rpms about 2500 while I'm winching, helps the battery keep up since the alternator puts out more amps at high rpm. I've seen some use them that need help with a 3rd leg for a clutch when taking off on a hill.

Now I need to pull an alternator from a Limited ZJ to go from 70A to 136A
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i think i know what your saying, but i dont know how it would help you out? is it like a second gas pedal?[addsig]

Yes, it's hooked to the throttle lever on the throttle body (or on a carb, whichever the case may be).[addsig]

Ok, I'm gonna snap some pics of the install ........ should have something up tonight for you guys to see. Believe me when I say it's worth the few bucks!!!! Once you get used to it, you will always use it!!!

On very cold mornings I also lock it down and raise the idle a bit ...... warms up nice and fast. Are we Canadians the only ones in this deep freeze????? Man it's cold.

Craig

hey tug, awesome avatar !![addsig]

Ok here we go, should be pretty much straight forward .......

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png
[addsig]

looks like a good idea- would be a nice thing to have also to help warm up the jeep on these cold winter mornings we have!!

I hope to do that soon to mine...[addsig]

craig - great pics!

being as i worked at a bike shop for 4 years, i have a little insight to offer as well. when you're picking out a lever, you have 2 options:

if you get a BRAKE lever, you have to control the lever by hand manually, and if you let go of it, the RPM's will go back to idle. however, there is USUALLY an adjustment screw that you could use to take care of this if you want to be able to walk away from it. an advantage of having a brake lever is that there is only one pivot, and a LOT less to go wrong with it. with a shifter, there are moving parts internally and such and more chances for the thing to get bound up and hold the throttle open (not good)

if you get a shifter (like shown in the pics), you can click it out a few clicks and walk away from it and it'll stay at your chosen speed (good for running a winch)[addsig]

i have wanted to get a hand throttle for a long time but never thught of using a bycycle shifter.i dont rock crawl at all and i dont get to get into the Mts. much between school and work but i think it would fun to play with in the city sorta like having cruse control.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'm not sure if a brake lever would work properly ...... 2 reasons.....

1) the range of motion is far greater with a shifter, I'm not sure if a brake lever would be able to rev the engine much above 2000.

2) although it looks funny on the stick, it falls oh so nicely on your fingers, it's very comfortable. hasn't come loose and the throttle & cable are smooth as butter

Craig[addsig]

1) the range of motion is far greater with a shifter, I'm not sure if a brake lever would be able to rev the engine much above 2000.

no! brake levers pull aprox. 2" of cable throughout their entire throw... plenty! [addsig]

Back