Handguns

TwistedCU

Looking for opinions on a good handgun. I've always been one to believe that I would never have a handgun, but have always owned shotguns and rifles. Well I am now in a RTC state and I want to exercise my constitutional right to keep and bear arms. So:

What do you who would know recommend?

I was offered a free .38 special from a family member but I'd rather have a semi with a clip.

I want something that could be well concealed (has to be), but I don't want one of those very inaccurate POS'.

I've heard the the .22LR is one of the most deadly because of how it expands at shallow depths. I shot a .25 a couple years ago and it was incredibly inaccurate, to the point of being downright dangerous. I definitely don't want a .25

There are so many calibers, help me out here.

Last edited:

We have a plethora of weapons in my house from assault shotguns to rifles to pistols. My dad has a .22 revolver that's fairly accurate and a .32 the extremely inaccurate. The most accurate pistol I've ever shot was a 9mm my cousin had and it wasn't an overly large gun. The length of the barrel to power ratio has alot to do with accuracy. The .22 had a long barrel with a smaller bullet not alot of kick therfore it's pretty accurate, the .32 has a short barrel and outside of 10 feet it's hard to hit much of anything. I brought up the 9mm because it wasn't as long as the .22 so it would be much easier to conceal, you can find plenty of them with a clip not revolver, and if needed it will definitely get the job done.

Looking for opinions on a good handgun. I've always been one to believe that I would never have a handgun, but have always owned shotguns and rifles. Well I am now in a RTC state and I want to exercise my constitutional right to keep and bear arms. So:

What do you who would know recommend?

I was offered a free .38 special from a family member but I'd rather have a semi with a clip.

Never turn down a free gun.;)
whether or not you plan to carry it, take them up on it.

I have two to three handguns for concealed carry and it depends alot on the circumstances.

For instance, in the summer when it's hot and I don't want to wear an extra shirt over a tee-shirt, I carry a small frame .380 but in the winter when I will have a jacket or a long sleeve shirt un-tucked on over a tee-shirt, I will carry just about anything, but one of my favorites is a Taurus 9mm.

Main thing, get a weapon that YOU feel comfortable handling.

BTW, alot of my cop friends I know carry a Keltec for backup and off-duty concealed.

I don't own one myself.

image-missing.png

Also, for the price, Bersa makes a fine little .380

image-missing.png

Also am important safety feature you'll want to look for is a de-cocker.

The top self defense calibers are 380, 9mm, 40, and 45; of those I personally prefer the 45. 22 isn't a good choice unless you plan on going mafioso and shooting people in the back of the head. Most guns chambered in 25 are crap, its a ghetto round, as you noticed. There also is a newer 45, the 45 GAP (Glock auto pistol), it looks really good on paper but I've yet to fire one. 32's are OK, I've got a couple, but have never fell in love with the round, they feel a little light. 9mm is OK too, the ammo is definitely cheap enough, I think I have more of non-rational bias against the 9mm than anything solid. I like 40 a lot, it feels a little more snappy than the 45; and is ballistically a real nice round.

If you're looking for a smallish carry gun, a semi auto 40 may be the ticket; Kahr makes some real nice double action only in that chambering with high capacity magazines. Springfield Armory XD series and Glock are excellent choices in carry polymer semi's with a full lineup of all calibers. The market is chocked full of excellent carry firearms these days polymers of all shapes and sizes, 1911's out the wazoo, featherweight revolvers, extended capacity revolvers... the selection is amazing and the sky is the limit on price.

You should do some research at a range and test fire some of your choices. Fit is as important, if not more important, as anything else. A lot of ranges will rent you a pistol for less than ten bucks, pretty good deal if it prevents a $500 mistake.

Opening myself to much flaming, but I don't really care..............
The only purpose I've ever seen for handguns is to shoot people - something I never intend on doing. There's enough killin' going on in this world without me helping out. I've got a couple shotguns and a single-shot .22 - and if my family gets hungry I'll shoot something and we'll eat it. Other than that, I really have no use for firearms.....although it is fun shooting bullseyes, bottles, etc.....like I said before, there's enough killin' going on without me helpin' out.
If someone threatens my family, I'll kick the **** out of them with my baseball bat or they'll shoot me and kill me. So be it. I refuse to live in fear.

Flame on, I don't really care.

Hoping for a better world,
mud

I have 2 Glocks, a 30 and a 21. Both are 45 cal, and are extremely reliable. I carry the 30, a compact off duty and 21 is my duty weapon. The 30 is a good size, but the 36 is a 45 sub compact. I didn't like the size it was actually too small for my hand. As for cleaning and functions, they are real simple 4 piece field strip for cleaning. The trigger pull is the same with every shot unlike the berettas and some other pistols where the 1st shot is a heavier pull then shot 2 on. I have fired well over 15000 rounds thru my 21 and only mal function was a squid round, which is a dead round. I have seen some guys getting stove pipe malfunctions, but thats shooter error or limp wristing it. My glocks are very accurate even at 15 yards. As we are taught in academy, 99% of shootouts occur within 7 yards of each other. And a cool thing with glocks, they can be shot under water, and can take a hell of alot of abuse. Check one out if you get a chance. Well worth it. My wife wants a 9mm, and she loves my glock too. Just a little too big for her hands.

First off like 90 said the gun you carry, learn it, shoot it and know it well. This something that will save your live or help you loose it if your unfamiliar with it.

Now I have had my CCW (carry concealed weapon) for over 20 years now. I have several hand guns that I carry for personal protection. I don't like the smaller calibers because they lack a certain punch (.32 cal and below) and walking around with a 629 SW .44 is just too ...Dirty Harry!
I like the durability of the SW.40 caliber. A little more muzzle velocity than a 9mm and a bit more reliable.
For those evenings that I want a smaller frame to go out with, one that fits my suits, I wear SW(Smith and Wesson) 1040, its a small enough frame that still fits in my hand comfortably. For those days that I wear my waist bag I carry my Ruger 92 DC (.40 cal) its large enough to hold my 15 round clips and in a pinch it makes a nice set of brass knuckles.
Both weapons were ordered in Stainless steel, I believe that your CCW weapon should hold up for weeks in your holster/ gun bag and not rust.
Both of these guns have shown that they can take some neglect of storage like this and still fire when drawn. Under the jacket the 1040 has to contend with lint and some body sweat. The Ruger has to deal with not only lint but the wear and tear of being an out door gun in my waist pouch that seems to collect dirt. Both had given me 20 + years of service with no failures.

As you can tell I like semi-autos over revolvers for ease of use, and capacity. But after taking classes in both Arizona and here in Utah I have learned that what you are going to buy/carry and use. Take the time to learn this weapon from the bottom up and become familiar with it. Shoot it regularly and clean it often. And as with any LOADED fire arm know where it is at all times!

now to finding the right caliper for you many of your local gun stores should have an inside firring range go in drop a 20 and tell the man what your looking for (I.E. a CCW weapon) they will allow you to test fire several rounds and type of weapons till you find a gun for you.

The only purpose I've ever seen for handguns is to shoot people - something I never intend on doing. There's enough killin' going on in this world without me helping out. I've got a couple shotguns and a single-shot .22 - and if my family gets hungry I'll shoot something and we'll eat it. Other than that, I really have no use for firearms.....although it is fun shooting bullseyes, bottles, etc.....like I said before, there's enough killin' going on without me helpin' out.
If someone threatens my family, I'll kick the **** out of them with my baseball bat or they'll shoot me and kill me. So be it. I refuse to live in fear.

mud

I don't mind you thinking that way as long as you don't start supporting laws keeping the rest of us from owning them.

I'd either get a 9mm or a 45. Both have been around a LONG time, lots of quality pieces out there, and ammo is readily available for both. Specific models will depend on your personal preference, but be prepared to spend some money and buy a quality name.

I am in love with the springfield 45 apc compact. good nock down, option of compact 10 rounds or the 13 rounds comes with both clips. here is a link with some history and info on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_XD
also check out the torture test done on the 9mm, it is unreal. http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

and this is how I plan on carrying mine.
http://www.pagerpal.com/

Go shoot a bunch of different guns, find one you like and fits you, then get it.

Been a couple people point towards the Springfield XD and Ill do the same. I have the 4" model in .40 and love it. Bought it used and I've put at least a couple thousand rounds through it myself with absolutely no problems with the exception of cheap Russian surplus ammo. I carry it almost anytime Im not at school or at work (I work on campus). While not ideal, I just carry in a cheap fobus paddle holster. This time of year its easy to cover because I can wear a flannel shirt untucked or a hooded sweatshirt. During the summer, I can conceal it under an XL t shirt (I usually wear a large) I just have to be more conscious of it being there. They do make a subcompact (3" barrel) version that I would love to have too.

Whatever you decide, get very familer with before you even THINK about carrying it. And take it from someone using a cheap holster, concealment often comes down to the quality of holster. Buy a good one.

Ill also say that I personally would go no smaller than .40 in semi auto for self defense. If I ever get a revolver I plan on a .357 mag. that way I can carry those rounds and if i just want to shoot for fun use .38 special.

mud

While I very strongly disagree, I respect your right to feel that way, so no flame here. Just so you respect my right to own, carry, and if necessary use my handgun to defend myself.

I have looked at both 9mm and a .40 too.

I appreciate all the advice.

Oh, and 90Xjay, I have the .38 special. It's actually a pretty cool little revolver. It's a police model. I just didn't want to carry a revolver. Nothing against them, but I like the ease and quickness of a semi.

Mud, I used to have the exact same mentality towards handguns. They are made for one reason: to kill. Well yeah they are, but I have also seen violent crime worsen greatly in MD as the gun laws become more restrictive for the citizens. I see the difference here just north of the state line and it can only be attributed to one thing: lots of people up here own and carry guns. I want to support that and like I said exercise my constitutional right.

An armed citizenry has a far better chance to maintain a civil society, as do they more effectively deter crime and tyranny.

I hope I would never have to use a handgun, but if I do I am sure that I will be glad I didn't have to rely on my pocketknife or my Louisville Slugger.

I fully respect your view. Like mentioned earlier, hopefully you can respect mine as well.

A lot of folks have mentioned the Springfield Armory XD, and I'm in that corner as well for semi-auto handguns. My brother owns one in a 9mm, and it is by far the best shooting semi-auto I've ever fired. Anything smaller than a .380 is a waste of time, IMHO. When I worked in the ER, we had a shooting victim walk in who had been mugged, and shot 7 times in the chest at point blank range with a .25. He stopped at a Quik Trip for a soda on his way to the ER! 6 of 7 rounds were inside his shirt at the waistband of his pants, and the 7th had barely stuck under his skin at the sternum. It was so shallow, he reached up and pulled it out while we were getting him undressed in the trauma unit!:lol: We sent him home with a band-aid and a dose of antibiotics.

Seems like everyone here has been talking about semi-autos, but when I go with my CCW, it will be a revolver. I have two friends who do UC work for the PD, and one who is a PI. They all carry a revolver for their back-up, and one of the UC officers prefers a revolver for his primary weapon. Why? A semi-auto is 500 times more likely to jam than a revolver (on average, though the high end SA's like Glock and Springfield Armory have a better percentage). Also, you generally will only get one round out of a SA if you are forced to fire from within a pocket, and the first casing will jam in the magazine...then you're screwed. A revolver with a bobbed hammer will not jam in a pocket or under clothing if you are required to fire in a hurry without time to clear your rig. Sure, you don't have the option for nearly as many rounds, but 15 rounds in a clip aren't worth a damn if the first one jams in the magazine. I can throw 6 rounds in my Trooper Special S&W .357 with a speedloader as fast as I can slap a clip in my 9mm.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with SA handguns, just my personal preference and the testimony of those who have had to use them in real-life situations made my mind up to carry a revolver.

My first one was a Taurus 9mm and that thing jammed on me every other shot..so I took it back and traded on a Ruger 9mm and love this one very light weight and shoots great..

A couple of my friends own these and they are a really nice shooting handgun.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/sig.html

and as you can see they are a bit pricey...

For the money and great quality Ruger is a good way to go...IMO

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=3&variation=P89&bct=Yes&type=Pistol

Mine is the P89..

I have a Springfield XD in .40 Cal with the 4" barrel. I have never cleaned it, bounced it around in the Jeep and everywhere else. It has never jammed and is one bad SOB. I prefer it to a Glock because it has the beaver tail safety in addition to the trigger safety. I aslo use a plastic paddle holster which covers the entire trigger making it impossible to discharge while in the holster. The newer XD's ome with these holsters.
Mine:
image-missing.png

Sub compact:
image-missing.png

I found mine used for $275 (steal). I think they retail for $500. The new .45 ACP is a bad arse too.

FYI...I know you have some Gander Mtn. stores in PA. They give a free 13 month warranty on their used firearms. I bought a used Beretta AL390 12 gauge from them last week.

Oh yeah, I forgot,

go to

CDNN

they are in my hometown and he is one of the nations biggest gun dealers
you can download the catalog there.

I bought several from him last year and 3 were used.
When they state the condition, they are exactly what they say.

good people to deal with.

Ask for Jerry if he is working.

I have a Springfield XD in .40 Cal with the 4" barrel. I have never cleaned it, bounced it around in the Jeep and everywhere else. It has never jammed and is one bad SOB. I prefer it to a Glock because it has the beaver tail safety in addition to the trigger safety. I aslo use a plastic paddle holster which covers the entire trigger making it impossible to discharge while in the holster. The newer XD's ome with these holsters.
Mine:
image-missing.png

Sub compact:
image-missing.png

I found mine used for $275 (steal). I think they retail for $500. The new .45 ACP is a bad arse too.

That first picture is the 5" model isnt it?

Oh and for anyone who wants to look more into the XD, here's a pretty good forum thats all about them. http://www.xdtalk.com/
Just remember that like this site, your going to read about all kinds of problems even though problems arent really that common. Its just that most people never post just to say "Mine has always worked flawlessly, just wanted to update that" :D

Last edited:
Back