Heater Fan Selector.......

Roundlights

Sorry for the barrage of posts, but I have not come accross this problem before & I need heat on the feet for those cold summer nights!!

So the 2000 TJ heats up, I can change from floor, to face, to defrost no problem....... but the fan strength will only work on the second setting (setting being the second circle on the selector)

If I keep it on the lowest strength, nothing. Third, nothing. Fourth, not-a-ting.

Not a vaccuum right? That would affect the whole thing. Is it just the selector switch?

Thanks again gang!

Round

Yeah, I know there's a post or two somewhere on that subject (sorry, to lazy to look right now :lol: ). Fortunately, mine only works on 3 and 4, which doesn't bother me a bit...........BRING ON THE HEAT!!!!

mud4feet said:
Yeah, I know there's a post or two somewhere on that subject (sorry, to lazy to look right now :lol: ). Fortunately, mine only works on 3 and 4, which doesn't bother me a bit...........BRING ON THE HEAT!!!!

You know Mud, if I had the third & fourth it would bother me none!! If I need heat its gotta be CRANKED to mix with the cold air to at least "seem" like its warm...... but this second level crap is bogus, no bueno!!

Hows Mrs. Mud? Still happily muddy after?

tint_rookie said:
could be solenoid for the fan motor.

Thanks tint.
This may sound dumb, but how would I access that solenoid?? Dash I presume?

Thanks!

Roundlights said:
...........................Hows Mrs. Mud? Still happily muddy after?

Thanx for askin'!! Yes, we are still happily muddy after.........growing happier every day!

mud4feet said:
Thanx for askin'!! Yes, we are still happily muddy after.........growing happier every day!

Too cool mate.
Again, if we could all be so lucky.

I think I have a good one on the line actually........ she bought a bag of hair elastics last week to keep in the TJ, she says she can do the summer top & doorless........... we'll see!!

(my summer is April 15th- November 1st........ Oregon style!)

havent had this particular issue with my rig.....did while back on a toyota.

so i went out to my current rig and took a quick look for ya.

passenger side firewall, under dash, box shaped, that sould be your blower motor box.... i didnt open mine up. but typically blower solenoids look like a coil wraped around an insulator (most often ceramic). the longer the disance the current has to travel through the coil, the slower the motor will blow. if it burns up on the blower on high side, your most likely gonna loose everything lower. im willing to bet yours burnt out close to the end.

Roundlights said:
Too cool mate.
she says she can do the summer top & doorless........... we'll see!!

my girl wont go topless..... im gonna leave that one alone.

i only yank my........ doors.

tint_rookie said:
havent had this particular issue with my rig.....did while back on a toyota.

so i went out to my current rig and took a quick look for ya.

passenger side firewall, under dash, box shaped, that sould be your blower motor box.... i didnt open mine up. but typically blower solenoids look like a coil wraped around an insulator (most often ceramic). the longer the disance the current has to travel through the coil, the slower the motor will blow. if it burns up on the blower on high side, your most likely gonna loose everything lower. im willing to bet yours burnt out close to the end.

Tint, I think you are my new best friend here!!
(thanks for nothing mud!)

You were too cool to do all that, I can't wait for daylight to tear into it!!

Much obliged my friend!!

Well folks I hate to blow at only certain fan speeds here on your parade...but this is a common TJ problem.
Its actually your fan switch itself. Now the funny part...you cant buy the stupid switch by-itself.

I have only 2 and 4th speed on mine. Jeep knows about this problem but refuses to address it in a recall. They changed the front AC control panel in the 98-99 upgrades. Since then jeepers all over have complained to DC about the switch going out. If you pull the radio/ dash cover plate out and then the AC module you will see on back of the fan switch one or two burnt connections (depending on what fans speeds you have left).

The Module is 85-95$ and a DC supplied piece.

its a resistor block if that makes it easier to find in a manual. and it shold be in the path of air flow after the motor but in the air box. mine on my 99 wrangler went on the highest speed in the winter then on the coldest night of the year, the 3rd speed went so i got a new switch. lots of times the resistor gets all rusty i guess with fresh air and moisture passing through and it doesnt work right. but the switch should be on the ground side and it just wears out overtime. hope that helps.

my girl wont go topless..... im gonna leave that one alone.

i only yank my........ doors.

I took the top and doors off and took the other half for a ride hopeing she would like. well she did and mentioned that during the summer that would be nice for her to drive to work and sitck me with the truck:cry: not sure if i won or lost :roll:

i went to loman chrysler jeep in nj and the switch was bout $30 and it is replaceable. the knob pulled off and the clips on the climate control had to be separated. then its like 2 7mm screws.

could be in the actual switch/knob.... those things act off a variable resistor if i'm not mistaken correct me if i'm wrong anybody .... could just be something in the adjuster panel "never tore in a jeep" but going on my GM experience and basic setups

Back