HELP! can't get inside door panels off my TJ

eNdiT

Does any Jeep enthusiast out there know how to remove the inside dorr panels from a 99' TJ? I tried and all that happened was the screws holding the inside door handle on fell down between the door...hahah

I am trying to remove the entire panel but can't figure it out? How do I get the window roller off and all that? Ahhhhhhhh

I'm a newbie.[addsig]

I have no exp. with TJ doors in particular but generally the window crank is held on with a c-clip that you have to push out before it comes off (bow the panel in a bit and poke it off the window crank shaft with a long screwdriver or two) The panel itself is usually held in place with several plastic anchors (there is a special tool for removal...but its not necessary). I would purchase new anchors as it is very easy to damage the plastic anchors during removal. There may be other steps necessary for removal....I am sure others will chime in with a more correct and condensed removal process.

FWIW,

Hoss
image-missing.png
[addsig]

quite true.....however the replacement process is quite a bit more challenging[addsig]

any door panel i've removed has been removing the screws and the window crank and pulling it off. just pull carefully.[addsig]

Some cranks have a c-clip that pops out and most common is the one where the center pops out and there is a philips head screw holding it in.[addsig]

*1997 TJ Full Door Panel Removal Process*
1. Put window all the way down
2. Remove C-Clip with long flat head screwdriver, careful not to lose
3. Remove two bottom screws from the bottom of the door, and one screw located near the door latch assembly
4. Loosen but do not remove the two screws that hold on your door handle. There is a metal clip on the back holding the screw. Do NOT lose.
5. Next remove six plastic retaining clips, Usually able to remove by hand, just place fingers under door panel and pull gently.
6. That's it you should be able to lift the door panel out of the way..

Hope this helps[addsig]

THank you kindly!

But guess what.....I lost the door handle metal clips! I had taken the screws all the way out! What do I do to get them back in? As of now I cant attach my door handle =(

This BB is very helpful. Thank you all.[addsig]

get some heavy duty glue and do it, i superglued mine in my old truck, but you could try using something thick and gluin it on there, and if you ever need to take it off again grab a hair dryer and heat it up, should slide off, the only con to that would be them getting hot enough in the summer to melt the glue? thats why i went with super, but i would guess that in the summer it wont matter cause you'll have the doors off. so id just glue them with something that softens up under heat.[addsig]

Back