Help! Leaking transmission

YJBLUE

Hey all:

I have an 88 YJ with the 4.2L and the Peugeot 5 speed manual trans. I have always had a slight oil leak in the trans but it seems to have gotten worse after I changed the oil recently. The drain and fill plugs are tight (no leak there). Can anyone recommend an additive that will help stop the leak? Much appreciated. Thanks...

Additives can't always fix leaks if they are bad enough.

I would wash it off at a carwash and drive it awhile and see where the leak is coming from.

It seems to be leaking from either the front seal or the gasket between the two halves of the BA 10/5 transmission I have. It shifts fine so I don't want to go crazy taking things apart if I can halt the leak (or slow it down) with a good leak-stop additive. Anybody use one of these before? Thanks............

Is it transmission fluid for sure? An engine oil leak will blow back on the transmission and make it look like the leak is there.

Sounds like a rear main seal on the engine.

There are no stopleak additives for manual trannies that I know of, best of replacing whatever seal or gasket is bad.

Good points, but unfortunatly it is coming from the transmission. The oil I'm finding below the manual transmission is new, clean oil. When I changed the fluid in my trans I used 10w/40 motor oil because thats what's recommended for a Peugeot BA 10/5 trans. What came out might have been a heavier oil (90w)? so maybe thats why I didn't notice much of a leak before. Still, I positive that 10w/40 belongs in there. I took ma look at a trans sealer made by Lucas today but it was so thick I don't know how I would ever get it into my trans. Suggestions???

Good points, but unfortunatly it is coming from the transmission. The oil I'm finding below the manual transmission is new, clean oil. When I changed the fluid in my trans I used 10w/40 motor oil because thats what's recommended for a Peugeot BA 10/5 trans. What came out might have been a heavier oil (90w)? so maybe thats why I didn't notice much of a leak before. Still, I positive that 10w/40 belongs in there. I took ma look at a trans sealer made by Lucas today but it was so thick I don't know how I would ever get it into my trans. Suggestions???

Option 1: put up with the leak.
Option 2: pull the transmission and repair the leak.

I hate to sound blunt, but there is no miracle here.

If its leaking that bad and you don't want to put up with it, yank it out and re-seal whats leaking.

The service manual calls for SAE 75w-90 API-GL5 quality for the Peugeot.

I'm not very familiar with the Peugeot transmission, but 10w/40 sounds awfully light for transmission oil. Most likely the reason the leak seemed to get worse after you changed fluid is that the low viscosity of the 10w/40 allows it to seep past the seals much easier and therefore in more noticeable quantities than say a 75w or 90w oil would. Are you certain about the 10w/40 being the right oil?

EDIT: Didn't see Darold's post above before I posted this.

I took ma look at a trans sealer made by Lucas today but it was so thick I don't know how I would ever get it into my trans. Suggestions???

Pull the shifter boots and shifter off and dump it in the transmission.

Back