Help me with an offer on this Jeep, Please.

I'd say he just become much more flexible on the price and either knew it or has a burning sensation in his own butt. I'd say half price sale!

See...this is what kills me about Us jeep people....we boast of climbing trails as high as everest....toppling rocks the size of houses....forge through the deepest revines and swamp mud....All for bragging rights in the name of JEEP ownership validity...just about anything you could possibly due to void a warranty on any vehicle....twist it's frame....knock it out of alignment.... and in the same forum let alone the same paragraph....scrutinize the very same vehicle for some sheet metal work?!?!?! after all I've read and seen here? I think the missing "JEEP" logo is the LEAST of your worries! lol!

I have no problems from buying a wheeled Jeep, as long as it being SOLD as a wheeled Jeep. But why pay the same amount of dough for a Jeep that has been abused when you can get one that has never seen dirt for the same price? Also, I have seen some really crappy work done to rigs, so I rather buy one stock and modify it myself; sure, it's more expensive this way, but you also know that what has been done was done right (trust me, you don't want to find out in the middle of nowhere that something was not welded right, and that the electrical system has problems, and so forth).

the sheetmetal work isnt the issue, the reason for the work is. if it was wrecked bad enough to need that done what else could be going on. looking at the jeep it doesnt look like it was ever driven off the pavement so its not like he leaned into a rock while wheeling or something like that it is more likely a wreck. if the bald tire came from the pass side front also there could be all kinds of problems with the chassis. maybe not but id check it very carefully.

Well Shit. We can kill this thread. Just carfaxed it. So much for him being hones. It's got a salvaged title.

And this is what I was hinting at; of course it could have been something much more simpler that meant you would still go through with the purchase, but you wanted to be sure about this (and now you know!).

I'd say he just become much more flexible on the price and either knew it or has a burning sensation in his own butt. I'd say half price sale!

Not a bad idea, if you were thinking trail rig... If you wanted it for road use, though, I would not get it.

I have no problems from buying a wheeled Jeep, as long as it being SOLD as a wheeled Jeep. But why pay the same amount of dough for a Jeep that has been abused when you can get one that has never seen dirt for the same price? Also, I have seen some really crappy work done to rigs, so I rather buy one stock and modify it myself; sure, it's more expensive this way, but you also know that what has been done was done right (trust me, you don't want to find out in the middle of nowhere that something was not welded right, and that the electrical system has problems, and so forth).

And this is what I was hinting at; of course it could have been something much more simpler that meant you would still go through with the purchase, but you wanted to be sure about this (and now you know!).

Not a bad idea, if you were thinking trail rig... If you wanted it for road use, though, I would not get it.

I really appreciate all of ya'll help here. I'm nixing this one... it was gonna be for mainly street use and light offroading. I'm going to look at two more this afternoon. I'll start a new thread and we'll debate the merrits of both. One is a 95 Sahara with 104k and the other is a 97 with 100k. See ya on the next thread.

This is a fun thread, with all the smartass and hilarious comebacks (in good fun and nature) and I really enjoyed this a lot. The one poster that said, above, paraphrasing, "we post all this stuff of grandeur and now, we are dissenting against a Jeep with some sheet metal work"

--right on!!

Ok, for the OP and the TJ, for info, and my $.02 worth:

My current ride is Jeep number 26, after 46 years of Jeeps. I've had it 20 years and now, it has 1,187,500 on its 5th IL 6. It was a total wreck when I got it, with 37,556 miles on it at the time I got it. Wrecked-- included a bent frame, total body damage in front, tub was ok, totally thrashed. I got it for free, if I would tow it off the wrecking yard's lot. I was rebuilding two others Jeeps at the time, and was doing this with my late wife, for fun for the two of us. I figured I would fix up "VEX" and sell it along with the others, since I was driving a 1986 CJ-7 at the time anyway as my DD.

Ok, 20 years later, that "total" is this, "VEX":

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

So, go ahead and get the TJ. Very nice Jeep, and have fun. Good price too.

Hope that is helpful,

Robert

This is a fun thread, with all the smartass and hilarious comebacks (in good fun and nature) and I really enjoyed this a lot. The one poster that said, above, paraphrasing, "we post all this stuff of grandeur and now, we are dissenting against a Jeep with some sheet metal work"

--right on!!

Ok, for the OP and the TJ, for info, and my $.02 worth:

My current ride is Jeep number 26, after 46 years of Jeeps. I've had it 20 years and now, it has 1,187,500 on its 5th IL 6. It was a total wreck when I got it, with 37,556 miles on it at the time I got it. Wrecked-- included a bent frame, total body damage in front, tub was ok, totally thrashed. I got it for free, if I would tow it off the wrecking yard's lot. I was rebuilding two others Jeeps at the time, and was doing this with my late wife, for fun for the two of us. I figured I would fix up "VEX" and sell it along with the others, since I was driving a 1986 CJ-7 at the time anyway as my DD.

Ok, 20 years later, that "total" is this, "VEX":

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

So, go ahead and get the TJ. Very nice Jeep, and have fun. Good price too.

Hope that is helpful,

Robert
This guy ROX!!

Hey, Robert, please excuse my ignorance, bu what the heck is that 3-pulley thing in the front?

No ignorance whatsoever and a very valid question sir. Ok, bare with me a minute on this. Ok, about 12 Jeeps back (35 years)), I got the idea of putting winches on both ends of my Jeeps, as I learned the hard way that I very seldom wanted to winch myself deeper into a screwup-- and I AM ALWAYS IN A SCREW UP!--DUH!

So, I mounted winches on both ends! The rule: The winch on the front is for the other work, the one on the back is for ME!!!!

With that said, about 25 years ago I started to also go with bigger and bigger winches, till finally I settled on 12,000 winches front and rear.

But then, since I am not all there, this still wasn't enough, since I was pulling out bigger and bigger things. About 8 Jeeps back, I pulled a CJ7 apart with 9000 pound winches, pulling a JD Combine out of the mud. That is another story, however.

So, along with the big winches, I decided to go back to my logging days and then get snatch blocks to augment the pull strength of the 12,000 winches. In that, those orange things on the front of VEX are 3, 50 ton snatch blocks used in construction, logging, oil drilling, and so on for very heavy lift-pull industries.

What this does, besides being able to hang the Jeep from a cliff or very big tree, is, to triple the 12,000 pound winch capacity. Thus, I have 12,000 lbs. of pull. If I use one block, I now have 24,000 pounds of pull. If I use 2, it is 48,000 pounds of pull. With 3 blocks, I get 96,000 pounds of pull.

And every once upon a time, I have to pull out really big things:

vex_pull2-1.jpg

This pull amounted to 91,000 lb. as that truck had 6 yards of concrete cooking off in it, at the time of the pull.

And too, since I destroyed a Jeep 25 years ago doing this sort of thing, VEX's frame and ends are effectively lined with 1" steel plate, and thus, its heavy weight of 3 tons and more than that when the D60s are in.

So, that is what those orange things are and I store them by threading the 1/2" winch cable through them from the MM winch and then suck it up tight, and its a great way to store them, have them ready, and they are also where no one can steal them. The color is "Equipment Orange" along with the winch hooks also, so that they can be seen in the desert, jungle, snow, etc, etc, and for safety.

You can read more about this at my own forum, which is here:

Behold Jeep Forum Winches

Very valid question and hat is tipped.

Thank you,

Robert

Well, i had seen snatch blocks before (I own one), but I never thought about using 3 of them... Then again, I dont typically pull cement mixers either! Even with the plated frame, dont you worry about the frame bending when pulling something that heavy, or the line being able to handle the weight, or the bolts holding the winch and whicn mounting plate breaking?

Well, i had seen snatch blocks before (I own one), but I never thought about using 3 of them... Then again, I dont typically pull cement mixers either! Even with the plated frame, dont you worry about the frame bending when pulling something that heavy, or the line being able to handle the weight, or the bolts holding the winch and whicn mounting plate breaking?

All good questions. At that link in the post above, therein the details and specs of all mods and no, I do not do that often--

In that case with the truck, all the tow rigs that were summoned by the company that owns the truck, couldn't get in front of the truck to help, so the owners of MacCelroy and Wilken, there in Kalispell, MT, knew about me and the man that they were pouring for, also was a 4 wheeling buddy and he too called, and so gave it a shot.

That shot is actually the re-pull of the event, since the company that made the winches, MegaWinch (out of business now), wanted to film it for their advertising. So, same truck, same stuck, but the truck was filled with gravel for the matching weight, not concrete. That truck was only a few weeks old at the time of the first stuck.

It pulled it out fine the 2nd time as well.

But no, as a former engineer at NASA I knew how to cantilever the frame and too, 1" steel plate can bear a tremendous amount of weight.

image-missing.png

12,000 lb. winches come factory with 3/8" line and I could have gone with 7/16" for upgrade, but I went ahead and went with 1/2".

The only thing it did on both pulls was to squish the air out of the tires and had to air up with the onboard ARB compressor before heading home about a mile away.

So, it all worked out.

Thanks,

Robert

Back