Help Please- 2150 Idle

cliffn

I just put my 2150 on today. Everything went smoothly and was able to get it running.

The problem is as soon as my jeep starts up, The Idle speed is super high like maybe 4000 rpm or so(I don't have a tach). I can almost close off the mixture screws and it still idles that high. I can still give it gas and it revs up, it's just that the idle is WAY to high and it won't go down. How can I adjust the Idle speed down?

The throttle body isn't touching the idle screw on the base of the carb when idling, should it be? Any help is greatly appreciated. Its my daily driver and the way it is now I can't drive it anywhere.

Black wheels revisted.

Does it Idle down after is warms up? My guess would be the fast Idle cam on the choke is either engaged or it is stuck. Look for the adjustment screw on the choke side of the carb... Its hard to get to. I hope that helps

SWAMPER LTBS

No it doesn't idle down after it is warm. I don't have a choke of anykind hooked up to it right now. Well the electronic choke is on it but I don't have it hooked up.

I had a big vacuum leak on the back side of the carb base :oops: so I disassembled and used gasket sealer then reassembled. That did the trick. I still need to find my right idle speed and mixture. :?

Do you have a manual choke hooked on yours? How did you connect it? My current manual choke pulls straight back but I couldn't see a good place to connect it to the choke linkages. Any suggestions on that would be helpful, thanks.

I am just using the electric. I just hooked an ignition switched wire to the connector on the choke. That's all there is to it. It works fine that way for me. Its much better than having to mess with it or forget to turn it completly off. I had a manual on the carter I had before this one. If you still have the choke thermostate on it that might cause some problems. It will never warm up and let the choke open.

Have you put a throtle retract spring on it to pull it back down. Need some reverse presure to get it to reset to idle once you give her some gas. Also check to see that hte choke is not sticking. I wish I knew how to say this better. I know it is a smiple ideas but some times the simpler it is the ezer it is to over look. I hope it is this simple anyway! tug

check the fast idle cam. its the bottom screw on the passenger side linkage (flathead). turning it out is going to lower the fast idle and turning it in will increase it. im tooling around with that now, but thats because my idle doesnt go up high enough when i start it. i imagine yours might be too far in. try to get that choke situation taken care of before you mess with that though.

Yeah, The fast idle cam was set in too much. I put 2 throttle react springs back on this carb. Whenever i get on the pedal and then let off it takes awhile for the rpms to go back down to idle. or at least longer than it should.

On the electric choke, how much do you have the choke plate opening set to? You know how if you loosen the choke retainer screws and turn the outside of the choke clockwise or counter clockwise it puts tension on the choke spring, do I want minimal tension or alot?

Another thing with my idle was my linkage I made for the throttle did not allow the throttle to go all the way down and put pressure on the idle screw, so I drilled another hole for the linkage.

I'm driving it right now and adjusting little bits but I need to get the choke going and throttle set up better in order to permanently set idle and mixtures.

Otherwise, I can tell a substantial difference in acceleration with this carb. Smooth quick take offs and can feel it pulling me into the seat :roll:

i just put a cable choke on. the electric was too fickle and i have trouble trusting stuff that i cant control- it was a breeze and now i control the choke. there are still a little bit of bugs i have to work out, but i like it. im gonna toy with the mixture tommorrow b/c i think the mechanic set it too rich- the hesitation is pissing me off and i feel like im not experiencing the power that everyone else is.

Back