Help!

jeepjeep!

Alright guys! I need some advice! We put our 92 xj up for sale or trade and a guy wants to trade a wrangler for our xj cherokee even. . Our xj is 4.0 auto and has 150k original very nice dependable all stock. .his wrangler is an 88 4.0 automatic with 129 k and a 4 inch lift sahara edition . Its a hard top, ok he also said over the phone its got an upgraded rear end(who knows what) and reverse is out of the trans, he says he could have it fixed for 500 bucks but he hasn't got the time to fool with it and works lot and would rather trade for somethin that's ready to go plus his wife and three kids would fare better in a cherokee, another thing that concerned me besides the trans is that he said if we trade he would like us to trailer the jeep home because he's afraid the trans will lock or the diff will lock because of whatever is wrong with the trans. He also said he took the front drive shaft out for reasons he did not disclose, He lives an hour and a half from me and I have not seen it but for one picture, posted below, so I guess im asking is the deal worth fooling with ? Has anyone experienced reverse going out, are the transmissions easy to find? Are they problematic or is this rare? Help!!!

Attachments

• Photo-0012.jpg
    Photo-0012.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 279

Do you think maybe he's hiding something with the trailer it home part?

Wranglers didn't see a 4.0 until 90 or so, chances are its a 4.2 with a carb. Unless he swapped in a newer 4.0

Keep the XJ. The guy's description does sound fishy.

Transmissions are easy to come by, I think its odd that reverse is gone. If its got a diff rear its most likely an 8.8. Careful of the frame, yj's like to rot out around the rear shackles and the skid plate. The front shaft is prob worn out (common on lifted yj's around here) or he was saving some gas. Other than that just watch for the normal stuff, wheel bearings etc...

I would drive it around some, on his property or local and tow it if I bought it. Maybe call some garages around and see if any are good with jeeps and have them look it over, shouldn't cost more than an hrs labor, and deff worth the peace of mind.

-James

So look for rust, drive it around as much as possible. What elese

Unless you have the time and the ability to have a vehicle laid up for repairs I wouldn't bother. Why give up a running vehicle for something that quite possibly is going to need more work than you know about.

Back