Hi-Lift maintenance

Sound_Man

Okay, for everyone that has one.

How do you maintain your hi-lift?

does it get WD-40? bacon grease once a year?

Lets hear how we take care of the gear we expect to take care of us when we need it the most.

~Curt

I give mine a bath in wd40 every now and then...they love oil. Work it up and down while giving it oil. Mine always rusts because when i'm jacking the paint scrapes off..just touch it up..good to go.

WD-40 like you said works well to keep the rust off. Motor oil does a fine job too. We had to use one extensivley the other night pulling a Land Cruiser from a mudhole then changing a tire. It got hornery after getting covered in mud. A splash of motor oil on the pins fixed it right up.

I grease the pins of mine with a water-proof grease (same stuff I use on the ball joints) all of the rest of the moving parts get a light coat of WD-40 or PB-Blaster. The grease keeps water out of the holes the pins travel in and it seems to do a good job. I do this about every three months.

I also try to keep the paint intact to keep rust from starting or changing the shape of any of the components.

I have not had to use mine as a winch (yet) and hope I never have to do so. I have had to use it to get a couple jeeps over obstacles in conjunction with my winch. Some of the terrain here is pretty rough and can get you hung up on the under carriage so bad that you can't winch through it.

~Curt

i feel guilty even writing this.. i abuse mine. i have never oiled it and it spends its all it's time up on the roof rack.. even in the pouring rain. i got it for free from my uncle and it was already a little rusted, but i think im gonna move it into the vehicle. id also like to repaint it, any tips on that?

cb radio and antenna tuning

jeepmaster said:
id also like to repaint it, any tips on that?

Take it apart and use good old rustoleum on it. If it is rusted already, get rid of the rust first by sanding it or use a wire wheel on a drill to get it good and cleaned up before you paint it. I have seen people color match them to thier jeeps here. :shock:

~Curt

For as well as WD40 appears to work, keep in mind that it's primary purpose is to displace water, hence the WD. Sure it'll help prevent rust, but the hilift could use better lubrication. There are a lot of things out there that will lubricate better, consider a can of 3in1 oil just for the hilift. Can of silicone grease spray probably wouldn't be too bad either.

Whichever you use, the lubricant will attract dust, so the more protected the storage the better.

Back