High RPM on start

earlyd

Anyone know about this? I've been tolerating this for over a year. Occasionally my car will start and at a high RPM. I can't put it into gear with out it lurging and jolting the transmission. I shut it off and restart until it operates normally. This happens about 25% of my start-ups. My mechanic thinks it's the computer. Thats a $900 repair that he says will open a can of worms. Meaning that any thing the was replaced will not be read in the computer and the engine light will be indicating problems that don't exist. I'm getting sick of this and even though I have 189,000 miles the car is in good shape. The body is near perfect. it burns oil but it is an old gal. Thanks:???:

Welcome to the Z. What year, model, engine, does this 'car' have?

I would remove the throttle body and the sensors and clean the throttle body thoroughly. If that doesn't help, consider replacing the IAC motor on the driver's side of the throttle body, this controls idle.

You can pull the iac and clean it and depress the plunger a couple times
They get gunked up this will give you a lilttle more time but you should get it fixed
Also check the throttle position sensor(tps) same deal

But before you head out and play the guessing game rent a tester and you will know exactly what you need to repace

i have a 1989 xj with the 4 liter and it did the same thing.. i pulled the trottle body off and cleaned it and all the senors..i used carb cleaner and a tooth brush.. problem all but went away.. still happens once in awhile but for 7 bucks (can of carb cleaner) it is good for now

I have a 89 xj that has 207,000 that didn't have this problem til I took the throttle body off and clean it out. It was nasty and I cleaned it til it looked new. I cleaned all the vacum ports and IAC. Then it started doing the high rev a start up about 25% of the time. I think I have a bad IAC.

Back