hmm wonder what that does :roll:

kosmo

so I was underneath my jeep looking around
image-missing.png
Do you ever wonder if the person that owned your jeep before you was a moron.
image-missing.png
I have so many cuts and tapes and mixed bolts I am suprised the thing doesnt have duct tape holding some things together. Anywho 79 cj5 304. I was looking at my fuel tank. Last year drove to yellow stone and my jeep vapor locked real bad I got home all pissed off and started looking on the gas tank on the top drivers side there are 2 vent tubes. The guy before me put a tube that comes off one and them loops back around and into the other. so I cut this and it fixed the problem except when I fill up with gas right before the gas pump shuts off when it is full it drips gas out about a cup
image-missing.png
very anoying. so today I bought some hose and clamps and I saww this thing , in the haynes book it said it was the "fluid level check valve" and it had a hose that comes off the top that goes to a "canister" it is located high behind the drivers rear wheel well by the brake light wires what does this do ? do I need it? do I need to replace it or can it be filled. how about any other ways to vent my tank with those tubes with out getting moisture or dirt in my tank
image-missing.png
[addsig]

your sending unit has a line going to the fuel pump and return line from the fuel filter.The thing you speak of is to stop fuel from continueing to pump after you roll over.What you could do is add two seperate hoses and mount two fuel filters there,leaving the other side of the fuel filters with nothing on them.

Does this make sense?
image-missing.png

--------------------- //////////////

Fuel line from tank ////fuel filter

Oh and the previous owners of my jeep used bondo and liquid nails to fix the fiberglass body....
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I tried to find an online diagram for ya, but had no luck.

I take it you aren't using a vapor canister or anything. berretajeeps idea will help keep dirt out, but won't help keep gas in much. the bad thing about venting to air is, your jeep will probably stink like gas and depending on how long you let it sit, eventually all the gas in your tank evaporates. I'm kinda there with my yoda which has a fuel cell and no vapor can. the owner had it just vented, but it sat alot, and the whole tank would evaporate if it sat long enough. so he vice gripped the vent shut and ran like that, real cobby, I know.

anyway, if its like my '83, it ran two lines to a liquid check valve, has a float, if gas goes up there, the float plugs the opening so it can't spill out. now, of course, that won't work upside down cause the float will go the wrong way, so from the check valve, it goes to a rollover valve, which just uses a check ball that drop to the bottom(top) when upside down and stops gas flow, from there it goes to the vapor can.

either that, or try and find a vented gas cap and put the plug hose back on, or you can do berettajeeps idea and mount the hose end up as high as possible so it can't spill out easilly.

HTH, -keith[addsig]

thanks for the input. I think if I get the filters up higher than the in spout( gas cap) it will work. Do you have to order the vented gas cap special or does the local auto parts store cary them[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>thanks for the input. I think if I get the filters up higher than the in spout( gas cap) it will work. Do you have to order the vented gas cap special or does the local auto parts store cary them</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

well, I never really looked for one, but I think there hasn't been a car made for sale since the '60s that could 'legally' use a vented gas cap. I've read of some people using them, however my bet is they would be difficult to procur, I just mention it in case you may be resourcefull enough to find, or even make, one. you could probably strategically drill a couple 1/16" holes in a gas cap and accomplish it, but if you leaned far enough that direction, you'd spill gas out.

-keith[addsig]

Back