How many KM's is to many when buying a used TJ

Matmadus

Since selling my YJ 5 years ago I have been itching at getting another YJ / TJ but seeing they don't lose there value I'm having a problem finding a good one at the right price.

So i was wondering how many is too many KM's (Miles) on a 4.0L engine?

I had over 250,000 km's on my 1994 YJ before i got rid of it.

Only reason I ask is because i was looking at the jeep below.

"2001 Jeep TJ 60th Anniversary Edition both Hard and Soft tops
in fantastic shape. 184121 km's It is the 4L, 6 cyl. that is all factory with no mods except 1" larger tires. New radiator, timing chain, serpentine belt, spark plugs, boots/wires very recently all done by mechanic with receipts. I bought it at about 63,000km's, oil changed it every 5000km's or less, have not off roaded it at all and have put on mostly highway km's"

Guy is asking $8995 for it so it seems to be in the ballpark of what there going for.

I'm going to look at it this weekend, but wasn't sure on the km's.

Any info would be great.

Thanks in Advance

I dont know the ratio from km to miles but I have a 97 2.5l with 160000 miles on it and no major problems.

I think for the most part you answered your question, you had a bunch of miles/kilomitors on the one you got rid of. To me 115K miles is still a baby on the I6 if, and this is a big if, the motor was properly taken care of. I bought a YJ once that had 80K miles on it and the motor was puking oil like a green horn on a crab boat. The motor ran but what a mess. This was caused by blow-by from worn rings. With any Jeep I6, I look for that problem first. In a YJ there will be oil in the air intake box or filter but on the TJs the air box and line from the valve cover have been relocated and makes it harder to tell. Still check the hose and see if it looks oily and around the valve cover to see if oil seems to be being pushed out. Chances are good though with those miles you are OK.

I think rust is the deal breaker more then miles.
all those engines have the breather piped into the intake for emissions... and that dumps carbon to prematurely kill the engine (my valve seats were shot at 122K... intakes were usable, but it took 4 exhaust valves).

after the engine rebuild, pipe the breather to atmosphere.

my opinion is from now on car designs are crap for consumers, so a little investment in a rebuild now can free you up from the social tether in the long run.

I think rust is the deal breaker more then miles.
+1. Mechanical stuff you can replace and on a Jeep that's pretty easy to do.
Come to think, you can replace the whole dang body too, at least up through the YJ. (TJ's have air bags which is a ball of wax that most of us probably don't want to get into.)
Our 97 had 142,000 miles when I bought it, don't know what that is in km, but it seemed to be well cared for so I didn't worry about it. Engine ran well and the used car lot had had a valve job done on it. I changed all the fluids, and I do mean ALL the fluids...axles, t-case, transmission, all new u-joints, and drive on. I will probably have to get the transmission rebuilt within a year, it's an automatic and acting a little bit funny but it's got 148,000 miles on it now and doesn't look like it's ever been out.

Back