How To Free "Locked Up" Tailgate Hinges?

Crusader

Hey Guys:

I can't lower the tailgate on my '85 CJ7. Due to the age and condition of some of the vehicle when I got it, I figure there was maybe some rust inside the hinges. It did lower, though with some resistance. Now that I have painted it, I cannot lower the gate. I scraped off the paint that was on it; squirted Kroil and/or PB in it; drilled a few small holes in the hinges to provide a channel for the solvent to get into; heated it with a torch; banged the heck out of it, all to no avail. Replacing the hinges is not a desirable option at this point, as I have broken off boltheads on other parts of the vehicle and I really do not want to risk that now, because it seems to be real hard to access the area where the lower hinges bolt into (that little section that is above and/or part of the bumper) without a lot of hassle (removing the bumper, and/or the gas tank?). I am in a time crunch, as I need to get it out to our fall hunting area for use. Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for things I have not tried, or am I just going to be resigned to probably breaking off the bolt heads and then having to drill them out, or whatever?

Thanks again for the help.

You about covered everything. I have had good luck with PB Blaster. Squirt it on and whack them with a hammer to set up a vibration and hopefully some of the oil will work it's way in. do it once or twice a day for a week or so (if you have the patience).

I guess your lucky, I opened the gate on one of mine and it fell off on the ground.. :D

I'll get in line with the PB Blaster guys......hasn't failed me yet, just give it some time to work through the rust with an occasional squirt and tap.

Back