how to lay down the windshield, on a yj

superj

i was bored and thought i would be cool and lay the windshield down and remove those spreader bars. what i am trying to do is just find a hoop, like the older jeeps had so i can hook my shoulder belts to it and then drive around with the windshield down.

just until i can find a family roll bar.

3493e4df-1.jpg

first thing to do is remove this bolt on each side of hte jeep. i actually pulled the whole plate because i had never laid a windshield down and didn't know what i was doing

35b3c966-1.jpg

on my passenger side, this nut came loose inside. luckily, there is lots of room up there so i just reached back there and held while i turned the extension

36fc8b83-1.jpg

after those bolts, you want to remove the two bolts on each side of the spreader bars in the upper windshield area. once you get the two bolts out, you can just pull the spreader bars outward from under the visor mount

43919762-1.jpg

don't be alarmed if it doesn't move, its not this. this is the windshield wiper motor and all it is attached to the windshield and will fold with it.

6042c637-1.jpg

after a fair amount of pb blaster and very careful wiggling back and forth, my windshield finally laid over. it looks like one could very easily bend something if you pushed really hard instead of wiggling it and letting it work itself through the rust and paint in the hinge, so be careful on this part.

9638f07c-1.jpg

i don't have this bit so i am going to have to grab one today and finish later but its easy, one on each side of the spreader bar back by the hoop section of the roll cage and slide it out

2f31f860-1.jpg

here is where i am at right now

9cb16014-1.jpg

and a nice shady spot in the yard for the ol jeep to sit and hang out till get that bit

ok, found out you don;t have to mess with that top bolt because there is one on the back side of hte hoop that actually holds the spreader bar to the hoop.

20110716165202-1.jpg

here are the bolts. nice and easy to remove.

20110716165145-1.jpg

20110716165132-1.jpg

removing those got us to this. since i had no footman loop in the center of the windshield, i had to use a black ratchet strap from the door hinges, over hte windshield, through the hood footman loop, and back over the windshield.

we went for a test drive to the end of the street

20110716170544-1.jpg

20110716170603-1.jpg

and decided really quickly that safety glasses or goggles are a requirement with not windshield. after driving this way for the afternoon, i have decided to put the windshield back up tomorrow morning but am leaving the spreader bars out so i can keep the cj look

be careful when you do that because that seal will never seal the same again and it will leak, i laid mine down to replace the speakers in the dash (wasnt necessary, but made it easier.) and i had to replace that seal due to leaks.

i was worried about that. luckily, those three days it rains here a year, are not for a few months

I had better luck with my old CJ I had years ago, used Armor All to help the gasket from drying out. Driving around at highway speeds though was like the Maxell tape guy. Even more windblast than I ever felt on my bike.
Later when I had a mid '70's Blazer and would remove the top in the summertime the Chevy dealer said it'd leak come winter, but keeping the gasket 'juiced up' with Armor All and I never had any leaks despite the infamous PacNW rain.

I don't know about the seal getting messed up, as long as you are aware of where it is upon folding the windshield up.

I have been dropping my windshield since the day I got my jeep Up-teen years ago, have not even had a windshield on the jeep for the past 4 years until about a month ago when I got the urge to put it on. in all that time, I've never had a leaking issue, but again, I have always been aware of where that seal is and to ensure it is seated properly.

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10,317

mine looked brand new when i lifted it. i made sure the wire for the wiper motor was in the exact same spot

Back