How to lift it?

vavs

Which is a better choice for lifting a YJ. Spring over or lift springs? Assume both are done correctly and the same amount of lift is achieved. Let me know what ya think.
Vavs

SOA is much better than a reg. lift kit IMO. however it can be much more expensive and harder to accopmlish porperly.

Depends on the wheeling you do and what you want from your jeep. If you want tons of flex, a SOA is the way to go although a properly set up SUA will perform close to a SOA. SOA will give you much more lift than most SUA kits you can purchase. SOA gives you more clearance under the axle and hence looks cleaner. SOA also requires many more modifications than a SUA. If you dont wheel your Jeep very much, SUA may be the way to go.

I have no idea what it is like to drive a SOA. I like the stories I have herd but seems to be a very in depth deal compared to a Lift spring kit. Where you have no welding and or fab work to deal with. If you have limited knowledge and tools lift kkit seems to make a bit more sence in that mater. Cool factor how ever falls on the SOA deal. tug

The ride of a SOA all depends on what springs you get. If you do use the stock ones then you will have to deal with the fact that the springs will eventually flatten over the axles unless you put in an AAL. (that's what I did) As long as you get the steering correct and know how to weld (or someone who does) I think the SOA is the way to go. More clearence under the axles, but you do have to deal with spring wrap unline SUA lifts.

You're looking at 5.5" to 6" minimum from a SOA lift, with welding required.

A SUA lift is an easier install, with no welding required, and lift heights vary from 2.5", 3", 3.5", 4", 4.5".

im running two inch skyjacker springs on my soa, it looks and rides great (like a cadillac) but i get a little bit of spring wrap. go any bigger than stock leafs, or rubicon express soa leaves and your lookin at a new front driveshaft as well as a new rear one. and sye is almost mandatory unless you drop your t case to the ground which defeats the purpose of and soa. soa is the way to go if you really wheel your rig, it twists up just as well as coils and it gives you clearance unlike an sua can. o another idea is to do a subtract a leaf. if you can pick up a set of 2"leaf springs like i did for cheap, take out the leaf below the main eye and replace it with a stock. itll give you about a .5 inch less lift but a lot more flex

A S.O.A. is probably the better choice. Better ground clearance, better ride quality, better articulation (less arch), and well, they look better.

The benefits of a spring-under lift are many, but mostly in the ease and cost department (not so much if you want to achieve the same height (5-6"))

If you want to compare the two as properly done end products I have to side with SOA.

I would not go to such lengths for a SOA on a daily driver, but it is probably the route I will go on my YJ.

FYI - There is a bolt-on SOA kit made by Full Traction if you can't weld. I've considered it -vs- all the welding for a SOA (I don't weld and it can be expensive). It also leaves the axles stock so you can switch back if desired to sell or whatever.

yea that full traction kit looks well equipped, ive looked at it but would never take it over my welded perches. it probably however angles the pinion exactly right which is a major plus. it can be a chore to get it lined up

If you don't own or have free access to a welder and some fab equipment, there is nothing cheap about a correctly done SOA. It also takes alot more effort and time to complete.

SOA is more flexy even when you use the same spring as you would with a SUA, because more leverage is being applied. Super flexy is great in alot of instances, not so great in alot of other instances. Personally, I wouldn't run factory springs with a SOA. They wear out quickly if you flex them alot, and they don't really work that well even before they wear out. They flex good though, if that's all you're after. AALs will crutch the factory springs, but then you are kind of defeating the reason for running the factory springs to begin with(other than cost). If you decide on a SOA, do yourself a favor and buy some new springs with a little more arc and springrate to them, then lower the bumpstops until the spring can't reverse arc at full compression. Again that goes back to doing it right versus cost, and the budget will make the final call.
I have NOTHING against SOAs, but I do see alot of negatives involved in a short SOA that can present problems with the mud and speed that my Jeeps see. Once you get to a certain size tire, you have to go to a SOA though which is where I'm at with the CJ. I want to SOA my 4" springs and 3"BL and run some 42s. But instead of running a SOA and factory springs for 5.5-6" of lift, for MY needs, I'm better off with a 4" SUA and a couple of inches of bodylift.

currupt4130 said:
im running two inch skyjacker springs on my soa, it looks and rides great (like a cadillac) but i get a little bit of spring wrap. if you can pick up a set of 2"leaf springs like i did for cheap, take out the leaf below the main eye and replace it with a stock. itll give you about a .5 inch less lift but a lot more flex
Wonder why you get spring wrap? :roll: Flex isn't everything, and like junkpile mentioned, too much can be a bad thing. Sounds like your flex is at a cost, as you'll be replacing springs often due to excessive spring wrap.
currupt4130 said:
soa is the way to go if you really wheel your rig
Guess I don't really wheel my rig.
Snitty said:
there really aren't that many more modifications required on the soa than a similar height spring lift
That's not a practical comparison as there are no options for a SUA to be as tall as a SOA, short of custom spring packs. A SUA of 5.5" or 6" won't need a dogleg draglink to clear the pass. side spring pack, as is needed for a SOA. A SUA pinion angle can be corrected with shims, where a SOA will need new perches welded on. There's a few more modifications.

I used to think SOA was the only way to go with a leaf sprung jeep, but I've since realized that SUA has it's place and can often be just as or more capable than a SOA setup.

Bounty__Hunter said:
A SUA of 5.5" or 6" won't need a dogleg draglink to clear the pass. side spring pack, as is needed for a SOA. A SUA pinion angle can be corrected with shims, where a SOA will need new perches welded on. There's a few more modifications.

I'm SOA, with a stock drag link. No problems, and that's with an extra inch of AAL. As for the pinion angle, just tac in the perches, drive around and wait for vibes. If there are none weld it up, if there are some, brake the tacs, loosen the ubolts, reposition.

Bounty__Hunter said:
I used to think SOA was the only way to go with a leaf sprung jeep, but I've since realized that SUA has it's place and can often be just as or more capable than a SOA setup.

How is a SUA more capable with your u bolts hanging up on everything? It's not unless you get those u bolt reversal kits... and that still won't be as flush as the SOAs ubolts are.

Need Seatbelts.

actually Bounty i have a ton of spring wrap with my SOA and the flattening of my springs is my least concern....i have broken 4 straps, 2 yokes, lost a number of u-joints and a driveshaft so far this season....lol...thank god winter is here so i can build a wrap bar :lol:

that being said i would'nt trade my SOA for anything...there comes a point in every wheeler's life where SOA IS the only option...lol...welcome to hardcore :lol:

PS..( anybody got any homebrew anti-wrap bars that incorperate a 9inch?)

Ya, welcome to hardcore :roll: So what you're implying is that, in your eyes, a leaf sprung jeeper isn't hardcore unless SOA?

no i am not saying that....however i dont see too many SUA jeeps competing at the higher level( professionally) or trying the real hard trails (locally)....they are all either coilover or SOA...easy Bounty you'll have a chance to go SOA someday... :lol: ...lol.. sorry if i pissed anyone off :twisted:

front tires grinding

I think if you want to go higher than 6" of lift. a SOA becomes a no-brainer in my book. A 4.5" SUA lift is about the most arch I'd want, factor in a 1" BL and a 1/2" out of larger shackles and you're pretty much maxxed out. I guess cutting fenders or TJ flares would be good for the equivalent of another inch for tire clearance.

As I said before I think I like the SOA for a large lift, but a setup like above mentioned would definately clear a large tire, flex well (depending on the springs) and sit nicely in the "hardcore" catagory.

All that considered, at what tire size on a SWB Jeep are we getting into the overkill range? With such a short wheel base I would think 36" tires would suffice in most all applications. Mud bogging with the fullsize 44" tire wielding trucks might be the exception.

Man I know I'm gonna get an earful from Junkpile on that last paragraph :lol:

ok..i see that the term "HardCore" has been taken out of context. Anybody that purposively beats the livin snot out of their jeep on the trails is HARDCORE.....however in order to run the big meats SOA is requirered...ahhhh...much more politically correct now :roll: :lol:

keep it stock ..... Hardcore is a stock jeep Passing Bounty on the trail

Being a stocker (pretty much), I like the gist of that statement, White. Nothin' personal at all, Bounty, could have been anybody's name/rig, just like the challenges that stayin' stock presents.

Back