How to....

riden dirty

98 TJ manual 4.0, i gotta sqeeky u joint on the front side of the tranfer case. I cant quite get to it with the skid pan on. My question, is it splinned into the tc so it should just pull out? (using a strap) or do i have to support tc and drop the skid pan?

If I'm thinking right, the u-joint should be pressed onto the driveshaft side, not the transfercase side. Loosen the bolts, pull it. If you have to you might turn the shaft to get at all the bolts.

Not sure on the TJ (IIRC, its the same TC as the YJ), but I've replaced all my U joints without dropping the skid plate.

Thats the problem, I can get a small wrench on it but I can't get leverage to break it free. I can removed the front side of the shaft and used a rachet strap to pull it out of the transfer case if its just splinned in there. If not then I guess I have to remove the skid plate but for that I would need to hold up the transmission and tc somehow... Gonna start on it tomorrow.

Your front shaft has a rigid yoke at the t-case, it does not have a slip spline like the rear shaft does at the t-case. So pull the front of the shaft loose from the diff. Then put the wrench on one of the nuts for the rear joint u-bolts and rotate the shaft counter-clockwise till the wrench hits the trans or something substantial. Then put a crow bar in the front yoke and twist the shaft, it will break the nut loose. Repeat for the other three nuts.

If you had regular old school lockouts you could just jack up and spin a tire instead of using a crow bar.
Make sure you wrap the front u-joint with tape so you do not loose the bearings. Then again you might as well replace all the joints while the shaft is out.
You do not want one of those seizing up on you, it gets ugly real fast.

Last edited:

Gotcha, the one im going to replace it with has a grease zert so I can keep it lubed.

took it down and it was not what i had expected, apparently there are 2 u joint on each side of a "ball joint" probably not the correct term, the "ball joint" may be what is squeking, can i lube it or do i have to change it? If I can then how do i do so, if not then whats it called so i can get another one.

Double-cardan joint.
If it was dry enough to make noise I would rebuild or replace it. Rebuild will be much cheaper, but that depends on the condition of it. Some can be greased but require a special grease gun tip.

OK I replaced all 3 u joints since i had the axle off and clean the cardan joint in some vorsal and regreased it, the only problem is the seal is damaged and needs to be replaced but everything else looks fine. my local napa had an aftermarket joint but it was $80 when all i need is the seal. theres probably a rebuild kit that has it but where is now the question. i called all my local napa, advanced auto, oriely, and auto zone, no one had or could order it for me. any ideas besides getting *ss raped at a dealer?

You can buy the parts you are looking for at a driveshaft shop.
But if the bore that the seal presses into is oblong or worn too big for the new seal to press in then you need to buy the whole assembly and have a driveshaft shop weld it in and rebalance. I had to do that on my F350 last winter and it was $400 in the middle of plow season so I had to do it.

i dont think anything is worn in it. the seal itself had a ding in it maybe from removal. guess i gotta get a new seal and try it to see. off subject, would u have the 7.3 in the f350, im looking at a diesel for pulling a camper and that seems to be one of the best older motors

I've got a 7.3 and have had very few problems out of it. A little money into a tuner/programmer, and you will have tons of power. I liked the Edge Evolution, just because it monitors everything, has built in gauges, and is super easy to install. But, all of that said, I've still got to give props the Cummins. There's just something about the staight 6 that makes for one tourqey mo-fo.

Yes I have the 7.3, it is my third 7.3 and I have ben very happy with all of them. I also own a Dodge 5.9 12v and it is a great engine as well.

Back