How will it drive??

NeoAnderson

Ok..i got a 97 TJ,4.0l,5spd with 3:55,4"lift at the moment and finally have money to put 35's on it.
What i need to know is how much a difference is it going to be to drive?
Will it be like starting out in second all the time or more like third?
I can't afford the gear change at the moment and just want to know what i should expect in the meantime.

thx

It will take off slower. You may not notice a huge difference, but you will probably eat up the clutch faster.

depending on what tire size your coming from, a lot. With 35's you will no longer have 5th gear. First gear will be your friend. Depending on your lift you might see an slight increase in road bump-eness.
Jeepr is right you will see a decrease in your clutch's life since you will see a bigger decrease in the RPM's at take off when you left off the clutch, but we are not talking months.. more along the line of a few years.
Now if your running stock axles, like the dana 35...well...just be prepared to replace an axle shaft or two if you off-road like racer

depending on what tire size your coming from, a lot. With 35's you will no longer have 5th gear. First gear will be your friend. Depending on your lift you might see an slight increase in road bump-eness.
Jeepr is right you will see a decrease in your clutch's life since you will see a bigger decrease in the RPM's at take off when you left off the clutch, but we are not talking months.. more along the line of a few years.
Now if your running stock axles, like the dana 35...well...just be prepared to replace an axle shaft or two if you off-road like racer

I just did the clutch with a centerforce2 bout 6 months ago so it should be alright.
I forgot to mention i have 31's on there right now.
I don't off road very hard but there's always that circumstance that gives you no choice but to give 'er a lil more than usual to get out of a sticky situation so i will be replacing the d35 with a dodge 8 3/4 at a later date.

35's on 3.55 gears...

Your crawl ratio will suck.

Your transmission will be working very hard.

5th gear will be rendered useless.

It'll feel like someone stole your I6 and replaced it with a 4 cyl.

HAHAHAHAHA...snail on speed..i like that.
well here's the update.

I got the 35's on now...baja claw radials and i love em.
They aren't all that noisy and handle decent on the street.

and much to my surprise the jeep isn't the slug i thought it would be.
I'm still gonna regear it though in the future.

thx for replies and jokes.

Your gonna be ridin nice on those 35's with a 4.0L & 4.10 Gearing.

Make sure you get some pictures up when your done.

Your gonna be ridin nice on those 35's with a 4.0L & 4.10 Gearing.

Make sure you get some pictures up when your done.

My current pics in the members pictures shows the jeep with the new 35's.
Hard to show the 4.10's though i will be taking pics of those when it all happens for sure(I take pics of everything i do to my jeep..i'm goofy like that)

Back