Hummer H2 Accident

dropseys

Anyone see about the Hummer H2 accident in Assateague National Park, i think the VA portion? Some guy was off-roading in a restricted area of the beach, apparently speeding, and rolled his hummer into the ocean. The driver and a female passenger were killed. It is sad that 2 people died from ignorance.

RE: Re: RE: Jeep Unlimited on the Rubicon Trail

That always hurts to hear something like that - too many people die from the proverbial "ignorance syndrome." On the lighter side, at least it was a hummer (spelled with a small "h") and not a Jeep (spelled with a large "J") that went "arse over tea kettle" in the Assateague area. LBR

I bet he was just showing off to impress the lady.....after all he was from "Cockey"sville!

I could not resist!!! :twisted:

It is sad to hear though.......

Jeep Compass ?

".....Rangers on the scene say a high rate of speed is the cause of the roll over......"

#1 Rule - as slow as possible, as fast as necessary!

Re: What is your "stupidest" or "worst"

No matter how low the center of gravity and wide of a stance a rig has, it can be rolled with the right "I-DOT" behind the wheel....YO, Ralph Nader, did ya catch that? And you thought that the '63 Corvair was a dangerous..... LBR

mud4feet said:
".....Rangers on the scene say a high rate of speed is the cause of the roll over......"

#1 Rule - as slow as possible, as fast as necessary!

Excellent point, mud! Think I'll see about getting that made into a decal for my Jeep!

On a similar note, has anyone seen the new commercials with the "ESUVEE" rodeo? Its a public safety spot aimed at men ages 18-27, urging them to learn how to handle their big SUV's. Apparently, SUV deaths are the leading cause of death for men in that age group now. You can find more info about it at http://www.esuvee.com/flash.html. Personally, I think people should be required to take a driving test before getting behind the wheel of SUV's. I always thought that Jeep dealerships would sell more Jeeps if they had an ORV trail behind the dealership where you could do test drives!!

Junkpile, another 2a

He didn't kill himself because he was driving fast, he got killed because he DIDN'T KNOW HOW to drive fast. I drive my Jeep fast all the time, and take offense at the notion that I am "ignorant". Accidents happen

Would he still be considered such a moron if he rolled his Hummer off a rock at 2mph and got killed?

Sparky-Watts said:
I always thought that Jeep dealerships would sell more Jeeps if they had an ORV trail behind the dealership where you could do test drives!!

I always thought that too Sparky! I even asked my dealership why they didn't and he said, "liability". Damn lawyers ruin everything.

the definiton of Ignorant: Destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened.
Unacquainted with; unconscious or unaware; -- used with of.
How is it that that is thought to be such a negative term? Obviously he did not know how to drive at high speeds or he wouldn't have rolled. Nowhere does ignorant mean moron or any other derogative term. And for your information speed does kill. Its people who travel at high speeds that cause most of the severe accidents on the roadway, but not all of them. Check out NHTSA for stats on speed related accidents.

1993 Transfer Case Help

I'm aware of the meaning of the word Ignorant. I guess I may have jumped the gun by assuming the guy KNEW that you can get killed by driving fast......and if he did, then he wasn't ignorant. Stupid maybe, for clearly overloading his ability to handle his ride, but not ignorant. And even experienced drivers make mistakes......any member of this board could make the next one and end up the latest casualty, accidents happen.

I also may have unfairly grouped a few other threads and real life discussions that deal with Jeeps and speed in with this one. I'm just soooooo tired of hearing IGNORANT people try and tell me what MY 4x4 should be used for. Anybody here ever hear of Jeepspeed......how about mud racing.......or sand drags.......or timed hillclimbs......or......
There's more to Jeeping than building a cookie-cutter style Jeep like everybody else and then going putting down a trail or creeping through a rockpile.

Junkpile said:
I'm aware of the meaning of the word Ignorant. I guess I may have jumped the gun by assuming the guy KNEW that you can get killed by driving fast......and if he did, then he wasn't ignorant. Stupid maybe, for clearly overloading his ability to handle his ride, but not ignorant. And even experienced drivers make mistakes......any member of this board could make the next one and end up the latest casualty, accidents happen.

I also may have unfairly grouped a few other threads and real life discussions that deal with Jeeps and speed in with this one. I'm just soooooo tired of hearing IGNORANT people try and tell me what MY 4x4 should be used for. Anybody here ever hear of Jeepspeed......how about mud racing.......or sand drags.......or timed hillclimbs......or......
There's more to Jeeping than building a cookie-cutter style Jeep like everybody else and then going putting down a trail or creeping through a rockpile.

word.

RE: new rock garden = fun and damage

Nobody is telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do with a Jeep here. All i am syaing is that this guy was speeding in an area that was sectioned off from the ORV section. He shouldn't have been there as it is posted as a federally protected wildlife refuge. The ORV section also has a posed speed limit of 25 mph, if you can handle the speed or not is not the problem. The signs clearly stated the speed limit. If you are not familiar with that particluar park, it is know for the wild ponies that run on the beaches so the speed limit is in place for safety of the drivers and ponies. No offense Junkpile, but i was not cutting on you as i know of many different types of truck events whcih involve speed. All i am saying is that there are places and many hours of training/ practice that are also involved, and from what i understand one of the rangers told me that the guy appeared to be traveling at approx 50 mph and attempted to make a sharp turn. My only beef is that his trespassing on a wildlife refuge gave all of us who legally off-raod a bad name, and opened up another argument against ORV areas for us to use.

RE: Welding

Junkpile said:
Would he still be considered such a moron if he rolled his Hummer off a rock at 2mph and got killed?

Well, yeah....he's driving a hummer! Duh!! :lol:

Re: RE: Re: What is your "stupidest" or "wors

He didn't kill himself because he was driving fast, he got killed because he DIDN'T KNOW HOW to drive fast. I drive my Jeep fast all the time, and take offense at the notion that I am "ignorant". Accidents happen

Well said junkpile. I have raced cars for many years and i'm not lightfooted with the jeep either. I have seen more accidents caused by people driving 40 mph in the passing lane than i have seen caused by people speeding.

My only beef is that his trespassing on a wildlife refuge

Speeding across a wildlife preserve? That is REALLY uncool, and makes things alot different on my end of this discussion. No, I'm not familiar with the area.

My comments weren't even really pointed towards this incident, but yet a general feeling I get when this subject comes up and I see and hear the comments made by "real" Jeepers.

Drops is right, this guy was stupid for several things he did (the least of them being a hummer owner). He was definately in the wrong having surpassed the seventeen LEGAL miles of ORV area and gotten into the wildlife refuge area which is full of unique animals and protected watershed, the least of them being the wild ponies.

I'm really annoyed myself, I haven't even had a chance to get a beach ORV pass yet due to costs and they say this won't change the rules but if it did who could blame them?

We were lucky enough to be allowed miles of a national seashore line to ORV in and some dorkwad had to do something like this AND kill himself and others?

I feel bad for his family and his passengers families, of course. It's a sad story but definately should be a lesson for others who are so inclined to not pay paticurlar attention to posted limits and laws in any area. Those things are there for reasons and usually are based on statistics and past experiences.

Anyway, just more of my .02, thanks for reading.
Heather

I hear ya, Heather. I'm surprised they allow wheeling anywhere on the beach. I've been to the ocean 4 times now, once in Texas, once in California, and twice in Georgia/Florida. Simply finding a place that you could walk on the beach was hard enough, let alone anyplace to drive onto it.

Oh, and Junkpile, yeah, I know where you're coming from too. I've got friends that drag race (legally, on an approved strip), and a couple that do sand drags in Waynoka, OK. Speed kills.....no doubt about it, however, the experienced and responsible person is less likely to be killed. When I was a paramedic, I had the occasion a few times to see the end result of "street racing". Usually it was the bystanders that were killed, though, because the racers had their seatbelts on. I would guess neither of these two in the Hummer had their seatbelts on, from the sound of it. Honestly, it would take a lot of effort to die in a rollover in one of today's vehicles if you were wearing a seatbelt. Your chances of being killed in a rollover increase 1800% when you don't wear your seatbelt. Your chances of sustaining a severe spinal cord injury increase by 3600% when you don't wear a seatbelt.

Re: RE: homeschooling

no matter how slow how fast it still a vehicle with boundries if you dont respect them you pay the price

Back