Huntin surprise!!!

LRwrnglr

so I'm out deer huntin the other day in a big pasture. I'm sittin in a big clump of weeds trying to concele myself, looking down on a big waterway. I sat down and noticed animal holes where I sat but they didn't recently useds, so I stayed. About an hour into the hunt I hear something walking through the weeds on the other side of the hill, so i think "Here comes a couple deer!". So I get my gun up and ready and around comes a BADGER. Not ten yards from me. So I jump, and I mean JUMP, off the ground and get my rifle to my shoulder. It startled the badger and he fluffed out its fur, beared it's teeth, and started to creep towards me. So I'm thinkin to myself, "OH GREAT YOU ALWAYS HERE HOW THESE ANINMALS ARE THE MEANEST SOBS OUT THERE AND NOW IM HERE IN AN OPEN PASTURE, 5 YARDS FROM ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" So it gets about five yards from me and I decided thats the closest it's getting. So i gave it a little taste of my 30-06. And well, it didnt move anymore.

I just had to share that cuz I've never been that close to one, seen them in my jeep, in fields, but not 5 yards from me. I about soiled my pants with that experience. Just thought I'd share

LR

That's pretty funny!

So, did you get a deer? I had to settle for a doe this year, not quite the trophy buck I was hoping for, but at least the freezer's full now ;)

Nah haven't got one yet. I still have another week to get a buck so hopefully I can get out and snag one.

I saw some pretty bucks, passed up plenty of shots on small ones and does. Shotgun season is over so it's back to the bow until Jan. 12th.

I just about stepped on a beaver in the dark the other day, I walk down the bank of the Mississippi for a short distance to get to my huntin spot. He hightailed it down the bank and into the water, tail slapping the whole way.

OutOfStep said:
Like most animals that are primarily insectivorious they make good stews ;)

Never made venison stew. Steaks, burgers, spaghetti, lasagne, meatballs, chili, cheesesteaks, bologna, stir-fry, and a bunch of other stuff... but never stew.

I don't know if this is true but I've heard that the best meat you can get is mountain lion. This could be a myth but I read that in the frontier time if somebody had a choice of meat other than venison they would try to track a cat.

LR

TwistedCopper said:
Never made venison stew. Steaks, burgers, spaghetti, lasagne, meatballs, chili, cheesesteaks, bologna, stir-fry, and a bunch of other stuff... but never stew.
Venison does make great stew, but I was talking about the badger.

LRwrnglr said:
I don't know if this is true but I've heard that the best meat you can get is mountain lion. This could be a myth but I read that in the frontier time if somebody had a choice of meat other than venison they would try to track a cat.

LR
I have a friend who has eaten mountian lion, he says its pretty good. Personally though, it seems like bad mojo to eat a carnivore, you can get a lot of biomagnification from things too far up the food chain.

which is why once the world ends and we have to resort to cannibalism I'll be lookin for the vegetarians :lol:

I had to blast a beaver like that once while Duck hunting. I have heard that they are territorial and will bite the crap out of you. I saw him swimming toward me, although he didn't know I was there. He got about 8 feet away and didn't change course, so I let him have it. It looked like it stung a little.

Back