I finally finished my air intake!!!

Joopin

Super Moderator

Ok people... I have taken peoples advice and made the custom intake with the cone air filter. I have seen many different versions of this mod and I have used an idea from bigTlilODD and used it in my design (to stablize the system) I made this intake at work out of 1/8 inch aluminum 3" tubing, I explain the whole process on my site... I took a picture at each step incase anyone would like to use this idea, it's quite easy if you have access to a welder, chop saw, and some scrap aluminum tubing... click here to view all the photos sorry about the thumbnails, they arn't working properly... and you may have to right click and go to "show picture" if the pic doesn't come up right away... let me know what you think!! Oh and by the way, once I hit the power band... HUGE difference in sound... sounds meaner! and I have stock exaust![addsig]

very nice! looks clean...[addsig]

you did a very very damn good job on that i see a oppertunity to make money you and e bay can make it happen acually if you want to make another it looks a lot better than mine exp. at the elbow where it connects to your throttle body, name a price just for the tube i have all the other stuff i need from mine later

marc[addsig]

That is the nicest intake system I have seen. Pride and Craftsmanship! I to would love to have one welded and unpainted even let me know how much! Tug The Super Joopin Intake System market this you could have a good second income![addsig]

and how does it feel compared to the stock unit? give us details!!!

Craig[addsig]

That kicks @$$ totally puts mine to shame!
image-missing.png
I was all happy with mine and now I have to change it. What did you use to connect the pipe to the intake on the motor? Man I need to learn to weld!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

looks pretty sweet I think marc is right you probably could make some money on it. At least on this site anyway. I curious to know where you live and what the weather is like. I've heard that the jeeps with the thermostatic air control run like crap in cold weather after doing this mod. Let me know.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

looks great, i did a better intake on my tj around 9/01 and

it made a noticable difference in power. Laterthat same month

i was boggin and hydralocked the motor. went back

to the stock set up the next month. So id be careful of water

if you get out playin.[addsig]

To answer a few questions...
Make em for money: I would love to make these systems for you guys, but I will have to check it is possible. I made this at work on my lunch breaks for about a week... all together it took about 3 hours to make. The problem is I would have to ask my boss if I could buy a bunch of the 3 inch tubing for the project... I will let you guys know what the verdict is. As for a price I would have to tell you after I find out what my cost on the tubing will be.
Compared to the stock unit: Well I just finished it yesterday so I don't know what the milage increase is yet, I used to get about 200 miles to the tank. Right off the bat I can tell you it feels alot snappier and more responsive... I never had the the thing dyno'ed but I guess a stock inline 4.0 runs at 180 HP... I can only guess from my muscle car experiance, my guess is between 10-15 HP. One thing that was suprising is the sound. Once I hit the "powerband" which is around 2600 rpm, you can really hear a deep rev from all the air suckin in the throttle body, I think since it is made out of 1/8 inch aluminum it resonates the sound even more.
Connecting the pipe to the throttle body: This was actually the biggest pain of the whole project... the outside diameter of the pipe is 3" and the OD of the trottle body is 2- 3/4". I looked all over the place for a rubber coupler with a quarter inch decrease in the inside diameter... didn't find one. so I just bought a 3" rubber coupler (which actually has an ID of 3-1/4") cut it open and overlapped the difference on the pipe and the TB, you can see on the pic I used just a pipe clamp to secure it. I will still be looking for a better remedy for this since it may be proned to an air leak, there has to be something out there I can order that will work better.
Where do I live: I live in central jersey right on the shore... it is unusually cold here (today it was 15f) and it seems to be running fine, from what I heard you want cold air going into the throttle body rather than warm or hot. Thats why the original air box is there, maybe... I hope this answers the questions... and I will look out for the water gettin in there AFholmz, though it sounds like you do MUCH more offroading than I do... I'm still new to this whole 4x4 thing!! Only 2 months in!
[addsig]

Joopin\', you can always make a little shield to go around the intake when you go out wheelin. Something like a box with no top. With a half circle cut out, to go around the pipe.[addsig]

an intake will not usually free up more than about 5 horses... though it may feel it... an intake doesn't really ADD horsepower... nor does an exhaust... they only reduce restriction... a complete intake and exhaust usually frees up about 20 hp beginning to end, intake, header, and complete exhaust[addsig]

intake doesn't really ADD horsepower... nor does an exhaust... they only reduce restriction...

no! intakes will add horsepower... less restriction for the airflow path, more air packed into combustion chamber, computer adjusts fuel injectors, BLAM! more power...[addsig]

Take a track star, running back, sprinter, what ever. Let him or her do their thing! Clock him or her! make em do it again this time wearing a gas mask! Is there ar difference You better believe it. Same person, Same test only this time less air going in and out. More power Has to be an engin is the same way. Is it horse power I don't know, better gas mileage and better get up and go you bet cha bottom dollar! Sound like power of some sort! Tug[addsig]

~Hey guys, If I were to make these Intake tubes for ya I'm thinking of charging between 50 and 80 bucks depending on how finished you want it. (grinding welds, sanding, body work, primed, painted) I could cut the pipes and weld it together and send it to ya if you people have the tools for all the extra stuff listed above, but it's up to you. If anyone is interested let me know and we can talk numbers...
oh and...
Ya it definately did add HP... thats the main reason I did it! If more air didn't add HP the why do people with muscle cars (like me) buy huge 4 barrel Carbs? Just to use up gas? No, a 4 bbl and a 2bbl is a huge difference in HP! I have a 67 mustang that orignally had a 2bbl, I rebuilt the engine and put new intake manifold and a 4bbl 550 carb on it which isn't a big carb just average. That added almost 30 hp alone![addsig]

Back