I got a $700 paint job the other day that washed off today!

dingus

for those who cringe easily, this story is NOT for you.

yesterday i was rollin' around town with my jeep loaded up (4 others) and a spotlight and a megaphone. we were looking for war protestors but couldn't find any. oh well. later i was coaxed into doing a little offroading. i decided that i would do something EASY, that i've done before, that would kinda show everyone what my jeep could do. i've done this little loop a dozen times before, even with a foot of snow down. even in 2 wheel drive in that snow. now the snow's not even there. i figure it'll be a piece of cake. little do i know that the ground is soft. oh well, after i got myself in i figured i'd just try to bowl right through and come up. this little loop was through a water resevoir (sp?) so anyway, i got stuck. in our attempt to get my jeep out, i had a wrangler hooked up to the rear of my jeep, and a dakota hooked up to the front of the wrangler. all three vehicles revved out couldn't move my jeep more than a few feet. i was in up to my front axle. i decided to head home and call a tow-truck. i had to go upstairs and tell my parents what was going on. a few minutes later i rolled back to my jeep with a shovel to dig out part of the snow pile that would make it easy for the flatbed to yank my jeep out of the mud.

we rolled up and there was a cop there. SHIT! it turns out he already had a tow truck on the way as well, so i had to call MY company back and cancel. that worked out okay. his tow truck came and got my jeep out. it was pretty impressive how the guy just used the winch and kinda yanked my jeep out of the big hole. the cop let me and my buddy in his wrangler go to an ATM so that they wouldn't impound my jeep ($100) and i also didn't have to pay for storage fees. i go back and pay off the tow bill. the cop then takes a bunch of pictures of my jeep for the evidence file. he tells us then that we are free to go, and that we would be getting citations in the mail. me and my buddy are both 18, but still live with our parents. he didn't want his parents to find anything out about this incident, so the cop tells us that he can just write the tickets on the spot. we agree.

he comes up to us after looking up the charges in his computer. he's like "well, i have bad news and i have good news. the bad news is that 'vehicular tresspassing' is a $500 ticket. the good news is that i can combine both of your tickets into one and you two can arrange paying for it." so, me and him talk to him for a while about the guy with the dakota, if he should be getting a ticket too. being as the dakota was on the blacktop the whole time, the cop said it was up to ME if the guy with the dakota should get any sort of ticket. i told him NO and not to even contact him. so hopefully me, the wrangler kid, and the dakota kid will split the $580 ticket ($500 plus court fees and such)

*sigh*

the jeep was COVERED in mud tho. it was fun as hell to roll around and get people to stare at how dirty it was. haha... i washed it off the mud today at the "pump quarers in and use our spray stuff" and i got the place COVERED in mud. i clogged all the drain holes with mud and managed to get mud stains all over the walls because of when i sprayed mud clumps off my roof. haha...

i'm gonna do some research as to what i can do to get this ticket reduced. if it were just charged as 'tresspassing' or 'criminal tresspassing' it would only be a $25 fine! oh well... hopefully i'll think of something. also, the cop wrote down my license plate number wrong... can i use that at all?

-nate
(i'm surprisingly in pretty good spirits)

edited by: dingus, Mar 16, 2003 - 08:07 PM[addsig]

the good news:

-i just broke 1000 posts
-i got rid of my STUPID yahoo email account. my new address is dingus@dingus.tqhosting.com
-my jeep hasn't leaked a DROP of oil in over 3 weeks
-i have money rolling in at a pretty good clip so paying this ticket shouldn't be too bad
-i got my new craftsman 150-piece tool kit the other day! its AWESOME (and free! but don't ask how :-D )

edited by: dingus, Mar 16, 2003 - 08:08 PM[addsig]

ok a question.... was there a posted "no trespassing" sign?
hey and the other day you said you have never been stuck.... i guess you have now... sorry man... :-( [addsig]

1.) Was there a VISABLE Tresspassing Sign?
2.) If not was it Public Property?
3.) Was it Government or Private?
4.) If Privatly Owned, is the Owner Pressing Charges?

Many Many questions.
Excerpt from something I found. Notice that a sign is mentioned First and foremost.

27.43 VEHICULAR TRESPASSING. (Cr. GO 19-00)
(1) PROHIBITION. No person may operate, park, stop, or leave standing a motor vehicle on
private or public property contrary to a sign posted on such property.
(2) OWNER LIABILITY. The owner of a vehicle involved in a violation of sub. (1) shall be
presumed liable for the violation as provided in this section. For the purposes of this section, "owner" shall
have the meaning provided in §346.01(2), Wis. Stats.
(3) REPORT OF VIOLATION. A person in control of property, or his or her designee, who
observes a violation of this section on such property may prepare a written report indicating that a violation
has occurred. Such report shall include the time and location of the violation and the license number, color,
and type of vehicle in violation. The report shall be delivered to the Police Department within 48 hours after
observing the violation.
(4) DEFENSES. Defenses to the imposition of liability under this section include:
(a) That a report that the vehicle was stolen was given to a traffic officer before the violation
occurred or within a reasonable time after the violation occurred.
(b) If the vehicle is owned by a lessor of vehicles and at the time of the violation the vehicle was in
the possession of a lessee, and the lessor provides the Police Department with the information required under
§343.46(3), Wis. Stats., then the lessee and not the lessor shall be liable under this section.
(c) If the vehicle is owned by a dealer; and at the time of the violation, the vehicle was being
operated by or was under the control of any person on a trial run, and the dealer provides the Police
Department with the name, address, and operator's license number of the person having the vehicle under his
or her control on a trial run, then that person, and not the dealer, shall be liable under this section.[addsig]

nope, no "no trespassing" signs... it was private property, possibly owned by the sewer administration. the citation clearly states "private property".[addsig]

Dude I am sorry you got the ticket, and the tow bill! Glad you went wheelin, and glad you got stuck. When you said you had never been stuck, I though you really need a to be so at least once. Getting to be pulled out once in a while means your pushing the elements of limitation. LOL Tug[addsig]

haha thanks tug... good to hear you're wishing for my best! :) lol... i'm kinda glad i had to be yanked out once too... but i couldn't have gotten WORSE circumstances! i think i'm gonna keep my icon as the cop just in memory of these latest circumstances! :) lol

edited by: dingus, Mar 16, 2003 - 10:37 PM[addsig]

Well, I think that the liscence plate thing could get you some where. Do you have to option to take it to court or did you sign admitting your guilt?[addsig]

no i haven't signed off on it yet. there are options i have to sign off on:

1. plead not guilty and request a trial
2. plead guilty and pay the fine

-nate[addsig]

if you have any cop friends in the area i would check with them about the situation. most places might let you "plea" or negotiate a reduced fine before you appear before the judge. also I know that if that ticket was issued in NYC it would be dismissed because of the Incorrect plate. was the cop state, local or enviromental protection?[addsig]

doesnt the person whos property you trespassed on have to press charges for you to recieve a fine. id find out whos property it was and talk with them. explain what happened and how it will never happen again, and they may say no big deal. then i believe you can tell the police the private party does not wish to press charges and there shouldnt be a fine. as far as convincing the private party, point out that you know others use the area for offroad purposes and you could help them discourage this with your experience etc. and the license thing should get you off id guess. show up with an incredibly clean cherokee and say, that wasnt my car? lol good luck with that. [addsig]

thanks for the suggestions guys... i have my business law teacher looking into the trespassing laws and such around here... hopefully he'll help out too! :)

my neighbor is also the judge at the court where i would fight this thing... and he likes me too... and i have connections at the courthouse... i should be pretty set here...[addsig]

haha i just learned today that the officer in charge of my case RESIGNED!!!!!! this should make my life a little easier eh!?[addsig]

that is some impressive luck there man. he'll still probably show up tho, they always do. but maybe not this time, cause if he already quit, then they cant fire him for not showing.[addsig]

here's a scan of the citation:
image-missing.png
[addsig]

since he resigned maybe you will luck out and have the charges dismissed. if he doesn't testify[addsig]

Back