i got towed, now why wasn't it moving itself?

randomjeeper

RE: I need some dirty pics

hey all,
i'll post more later about the story (its been an extremely long day) but any ideas on what the problem could be if the jeep (94 zj laredo) makes a grinding noise (as if its dragging metal on the road), the rpms are up (i only got a quick glance they were at 4 at the time) and its not responding to the gas pedal (aka first it didn't accelerate then it didn't move)? nothing out of the ordinary on a quick visual check under the jeep and the hood.

going to end up towing it somewhere but figured i'd ask to see what kinda ideas everyone has on this vague problem :lol: .
i'll fill in more details tomorrow, i'm exhausted.

thanks!

RE: holy hell. Been a while

Sounds like your transmission is slipping. Have that checked out.

Dual battery system...

icy~ you're right, its the transmission.

i didn't have time to post more details yesterday, but basically monday night involved me on the freeway at 70 mph, realizing something was not right, pulling off into 2 gas stations before it gave out in the entrance to the 2nd station, adding oil, getting it towed home because all the shops were closed and i didn't know where to take it. day 2 of this whole thing involved a tow truck showing up, the jeep driving fine until it got warm and then having to be towed to a place to see what's going on with the transmission. yesterday they called me to say it's binding, but that they would drop it today and let me know. the wallet damage is going to be 1300 - 1500 plus tax.

What you can do is look at junkyard trannies. They can run a few hundred cheaper.

my old 95 ran a junker transmission with 40k miles and it was actually more stout than my stock transmission.

well the place didn't call me today, so i guess i'll call them tomorrow and find out what's going on. i don't know of any junkyards around here, so i'm just going to let them take care of it. thanks for help though :) .

so i got the jeep back thursday afternoon with a rebuilt transmission.

friday (less than 24 hours after getting it back from the shop), i'm driving home and i hear the metal sound again. i know what's coming next, so i skip getting on the freeway, try to keep going, transmission gives out again, coast into a parking lot, play phone tag with triple a, end up flagging down a tow truck after 3 hours. have it towed back to the shop (yeay warranty). *the whole triple a thing is another very ironic story!

so it seems to only have problems when its warm, same signs as before. so.. assuming the transmission shop knows what its doing, what else could be the problem? fuel filter? anything?

in the 3 hour time span of sitting in the parking lot, i got 12 (battery disconnect..knew that) and 33 "air conditioning clutch relay circuit. an open or shorted condition detected in the air conditioning clutch relay circuit." what does that mean in english or could that be anything related to my problem?

thanks in advance

RE: Coolant Sensor? leaking

Ooh... How about the very ironic story... I have AAA, love hearing about their latest foibles...

As for the 33, methinks your AC clutch might be slipping/going bad, the engaging of which could feasable cause a nasty and horrible noise.

ahh the triple a story. okay so i called at 4:30pm friday (apparently lots of people need towtrucks then too).

4:45 i get a call from the tow truck driver dispatch telling me she'll call me back within 15 minutes, to tell me what i'm not quite sure, because they said i'd be waiting for 30 - 60 mins for a truck.

15 mins pass, so i call her, she says sorry she didn't call back and that i'll have to wait for another half an hour.

i'm on the phone with someone else when triple a calls, so i miss the call.
they leave a message about a flatbed won't get there till who knows when, if its okay to tow it with a dolly or something else.
i call back to say yeah fine, just get it to the shop. i get put on hold (mind you i only have 1 battery cell left) for like 7 mins before i hang up and call dispatch.

i call dispatch, get put on hold. she comes back and i tell her about the message and she says she'll tell them.
meanwhile i decide to sit by the side of the road and watch traffic as my head was turned the other way, an empty triple a flatbed tow truck passes me. noo!

okay so i'm waiting and waiting (lots of interesting characters driving around), and so i decide to call to see what's going on. i'm told it will be an hour... great.

a triple a service truck passes me and i throw up my arms like aghh. the guy turned around and came over (though he was driving a normal truck, nothing he could really do, but still...), he says yeah i'm on their list but since i'm getting towed 20 miles, they can't tow me, my order has gotten rerouted, so they have to find someone who can do it. so i thank him, he leaves.

i'm on the phone again with the same person as before and triple a calls again and they leave a message.

as i'm about to listen to the message, and i see a triple a tow truck drive by, i wave my arms and the guy thinks i'm waving at him. so i start to shake my head and get crazier with the arm waving (okay, so i probably looked like i was having a seizure). so he rolls down his window (there is two lanes of the road in between us) and he's like don't panic... and i'm like, dude i neeeeed to be towed. so he's like alright, he crosses traffic pulls into the lot and i tell him i've been there for 3 hours by now and i've been rerouted numerous times, etc. he talks to someone. while he's talking i check the message triple a left me and it says they can't get out there till 9pm, and they might not even make that, how about they pick it up in the morning?

so when he gets off the radio, i tell him what the message just said and he's like yeah i can tow you. FINALLY!!

so i get home at 8:30pm, 5 minutes later i get a call from a tow truck driver asking where exactly i was located. i told him i was already home and that i had to flag down my own tow truck. he said oh, well that's good that you got help, i was on my way.

Back