I need yall opinon long post but please help

marc

i curently have a 91 yj with the 4 banger in that i have spent alot of money on getting it where it is now, it has a 157,000 miles on it and has no major problems so far (Knock on wood), i bought all of the disconect stuff for the front end by jks and have done some engine work header,exhause, intake, accel ingition, gears and a small lift, to accomodate my 31 inch MTR'S, but just recently i started getting transmison noise in 5th gear and lets face it the motor has seen better days, but today i found and 87 wrangler with the six dont know what size but it has major carburator problems wants to load up and flood itself out of idel through the roof never the same thing twice in a row, its a little rough around the edges no major body work very minimal rust which i was surpized and its a lorado it think it has cloth seats and ac which ether one i dont want, and i dont think the ac works it has 111,000 miles on it and they want 3,000 obo for it at a local car lot down the street, they have had it for quite some time now but have had it off to the side where it still is because no body will by somthing that barely runs except a jeeper this will be my daily driver and what i take to the hunt club and trail rides they will give me 1500-2000 for mine and let me keep my tires and new top does this sound like a good deal or should i walk away i already have cj 5 that will give you head ach looking at that, somthing i wish i would have walked away from any reasonable advice would be greatly appceated thanks

marc [addsig]

Stick to what you got. The 6 isn't that much better than the 4, you'll save gas and have more money to buy that extra lift to run 33's.

my $.02
image-missing.png
[addsig]

its worth a dollar to me, i was thinking the same doesnt the 87 carb six the 258? but they did say they would trade even and give me 300 dollars only becase i got some super kill grill that i found on a trail and welded to my stock bumper

marc [addsig]

man i would go for it it sounds like the carb problem might be with the floats you might wanna check that out but i would spend the extra 300 dollars on a weber carb. i myself have a 84 cj7 with a 258 straight six and i wouldnt trade it for the world i havent found anything it can't do yet. as for the ac that you dont want that is easly takin out i took mine out in about 1 hour and got rid of a belt in the process it also frees up alot of room.. well taht my advice. Keep on Jeepin[addsig]

Dude trust me on this....you want the six...it is WAYYYY better than the four banger. Granted the carburator can be a pain but you can go with a weber or even do a fuel injection swap from a newer jeep with the 4.0. It sounds like a good deal to me...at 111K miles that 258 engine is just broke in hehe....those things last forever....seen em at 250K plus still running good. Just make sure that if you decide to trade...take off your tires and lift...put it all back to stock. That way when you get the new jeep you can put it all back on. A/C is also a good thing...don't take it off....make an On Board Air setup out of the compressor....it will be badass trust me. Cloth seats are a plus as well...I have a Rio Grande with the cloth seats and I love em. Vinyl jeep seats get HOT as hell in the sun...but the cloth ones stay cool but are a pit harder to clean..(Resolve works good). Just make sure of another thing as well....check that jeep out....take it to your house and inspect EVERY part on it before buying it....look for leaks, check drivetrain parts for looseness, and don't forget to test out the 4wd
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
If its all good (cept the carb of course) I would go for it man. [addsig]

6's are in fact WAY better than the 4's. As you probably have experienced, the 4 banger barely has enough poop to get it's self out of it's own way. The 6 has more HP and torque, which is nice when you have a jeep loaded with camping gear. Some other things to look at before purchasing a jeep, CJ, YJ, TJ, willis whatever. inspect the frame. Look for any repairs to the sprin hangers, steering frame braces, cracks. Is the skid plate beat to hell? Is the bottom of the rear diff cover peeled back? leaking?

are the brake cylinder's black with goo or clean? (leaking?)

Is there alot of body rot? Carburator problems can be solved with fuel injection. As a rule, a jeep motor is only good for about 120K before some valve work, engin work will be needed. There are those that may have gone past the 120k miles mark, but not many. My particular motor, (the 258) I changed it's oil religiously every 3000 miles, used the same oil (casrtol syntek 10/30) every time, along with new filter. Changed he coolant every season (a little overkill I know) but I didn't want to be stuck out in the boonies with a broke-dick jeep, so maintenance was a high priority for me on my jeep. Changed the plugs & cap & rotor each season, and I did make a difference. Only after 18yrs of this strick maintenance did problems start showing up, that this maintenance was fixing. I choose to have the motor completly rebuilt. What I found out from the builder was that the block was in fine shape. The head, was not! The vlaves were headin for a meltdown. Mind you the motor still ran, (ransomewhat good, started and idled fine) There were little thing like lack of power, poor fuel economy, an occiosnal not idling good spout. I knew I was at the limit, 122K

Sorry lost track of the post.

I'd hold out something fuel injected! Carbuators will always give ya greif when you least expect it. Drive what you got now, save some coin, and when something else fuel injected comes around, go for that.

[addsig]

I selling a NV3550 transmission and a np231 with a jb slip yoke eliminator

comes with bellhousing. Youll need a new driveshaft but in any case

id sell them for $1000. They have 60000 miles and are in prefect

working order, first gear is 4.01. Not sure if its what you looking

for but just a thought[addsig]

The six IS better than a four, i know cause i just pulled my four and put in a six. But I think I'd stay away from it and look into doing an engine conversion on your 91. Check out advance adapters. sometimes you can get good deals on chevy small blocks and transmission to slap in your jeep from an old rust bucket. Regardless of what you do think hard about it.[addsig]

thanks guys, i find out today if i get the 87 or not, i decided to keep my 91 for my wife she says she loves so i was like what ever i however bitched enough about everything that he is going to let me have it cheap, I am going to fool with it for a little while see if i can get it to run long enough to test drive it, but i was thinking for 1500 dollars i can put the motor in my 91 I went all through it the other day took some pictures Its got the normal leaks valvecover, oil pan Its going to take me about 1000 dollars to get everything right so I will keep you posted also does anyone know if the gage clusters go bad often the only thing that dont work in my 91 is the gas gage and the only think that doesnt seem to work in the 87 the oil presure which to me is very important but I did have a little trouble out of mine till I beat on the dash board I checked the frame everything seems good I dont think it was taken off road much underside too dent and scratch free but it does have mickey tompsons on it wich are dry rotted to hell and back so that kinda got me thinking but then i was like hey people put them on for the look, it has a 3 inch body lift and one of those crome grills which I was thinking would look damn good on my 91 but who knows if any one can help me out with the gage thing I would greatly apreciate thanks

marc[addsig]

Back