I want my doors off

johnjoseph1995

I'm 16 and my dad bought me my jeep a couple years ago and we have never had the doors off. I know how to take them off and I'm dying to do it, but he's being a little bihh about it and won't let me do it. He claims I'm opening up my car for the world to take but I take the top down all the time and I always take out my amps and the faceplate for my radio but idk what his problem is.

Is there anything I might be able to say to him that might convince him more into letting take the doors off.

Also he says the paint on my hinges will crack if I take the doors off, I really don't care if it cracks as it is but I also don't even think its true.

So please help I would appreciate it very much

I someone wants to steal your Jeep or anything in it all they have to do is unzip the windows anyway.
I put door edge guards on the bottom of the doors so they don't scratch when I set them down.
To be legal you will still need to attach a rearview mirror somewhere. There are relocation kits and mirrors that mount on the windshield bolts. I just got a stick-on trailering mirror and attach it to the windshield frame with velcro. Total cost, $5. It may or may not be legal, but I can see with it.
If you have interior or underdash lights, 4WD Hardware has these little clips that hold the light switches off so the battery doesn't go dead.
I think that without the doors there are more distractions and as you are a not real experienced 16 year old driver, I would advise you to be extremely careful. There is nothing worse for a teenager than proving your parents right. LOL.

Sir, you sound like a true jeeper, dont care if the paint cracks . Good luck with your dad ,just tell him how much you appreciate being turned in the direction of the jeep world.

Get a set of safari type doors. That way you get the flow through, open effect and he gets the secure feeling of knowing you won't fall out:).

johnjoseph1995 said:
I'm 16 and my dad bought me my jeep a couple years ago and we have never had the doors off. I know how to take them off and I'm dying to do it, but he's being a little bihh about it and won't let me do it. He claims I'm opening up my car for the world to take but I take the top down all the time and I always take out my amps and the faceplate for my radio but idk what his problem is.

Is there anything I might be able to say to him that might convince him more into letting take the doors off.

Also he says the paint on my hinges will crack if I take the doors off, I really don't care if it cracks as it is but I also don't even think its true.

So please help I would appreciate it very much

It's a rule of thumb when when people see an open jeep they don't mess with it cause of fear of the owner. I live in az and have the doors off and top off all the time. It gets chilly here close to 50 degrees just have a good thick coat and ul be fine

You need some soft doors like these:
Bestop HighRock 4x4 Element Soft Door 51793-35 97-06 Jeep Wrangler | eBay

throw them in the back seat when you leave home, and if you stop somewhere you can put them on the Jeep, making pops happy.

You won't crack the paint on the hinges, but you will ruin the pain on the nuts that hold the doors on (you'll never want to use them again though).

When you do take the doors off, get someone to help you, and roll down the window. They can be tough to take off the first time, and are heaver than they look.

tell him the army never had doors on their jeeps and no one stole those ones, ha ha ha.

just take the doors off and take him for a ride or something. you really are going to have to let him see the jeep will still be there probably. talking might not do anything.

its supposed to be 85 today here in corpus. then tonight it will drop into the 60s.

Just take the doors of one day without him knowing what's the worst that could happen plus if he is worried about u getting hit and the doors not being there to protect u read the warning label on the sun visor it states that the top and doors basically wont protect u in a crash they are there simple to shield the jeep from the elements and if pain does crack on hinges u can order new black hinges off quadratic

And like some one already said if someone wants your jeep it's not going to matter if u have doors or not especially if u have a soft top and that goes for any older vehicle plus u should never leave anything u don't want stolen in your jeep anyway

Just take the doors of one day without him knowing what's the worst that could happen plus if he is worried about u getting hit and the doors not being there to protect u read the warning label on the sun visor it states that the top and doors basically wont protect u in a crash they are there simple to shield the jeep from the elements and if pain does crack on hinges u can order new black hinges off quadratic
Might not want to tell him the doors wont protect you,he might decide to get rid of the jeep and get you a mini van so as you well be safe.

i wish it was cold but it's still 75 degrees in Florida :-\

Huh, I remember one day I took the top (and doors) off in Miami. The day was SOOO nice, me and the wife drove to Naples. By the time we came back to Miami (where the top and doors were) at around 9 or 10PM, the temp had dropped to the mid 60's. NOT FUN to drive an open Jeep at 75MPH in 65 degree weather! We stopped at the last mall in Naples and bought some jackets and sweat shirts and gloves, but it was STILL cold!!!

Reagrding the doors, I never had a problem with that. Of course, i did not keep ANYTHING in the Jeep when I ran without doors in Miami (I would even take the stereo out). But what was mentioned is true; even with a soft top, you just unzip it and you are in. Of course, thieves seem to ignore this and use a knife anyway (so you not only loose what they stole, you loose also the top!), which, in case of a soft top, is as good as a key!

I drive mine around Detroit with no hard top and no doors. No one has messed with it. I take my stuff with me, usually in a backpack.

i have taken mine in san antonio and houston with no top/doors and never had a problem. even in brownsville, which is the very bottom town in texas and is the states side of matamoros. we have stayed over night a few times and over hte weekend a few times down there. and where we stay is within walking distance of hte free trade bridge.

I'm confused.....who would want a jeep and not take the top and doors off. Like most people....if you can get him to do it once....that's the only way he'll want to drive it.

I drove my tj for about a year and one time my mother in law wanted to take a drive in it with no doors and no top in the middle of the hot summer night....I almost had her trading in her liberty for a wrangler...she loved it so much she then told me never to get rid of it.

I finally got them off everybody!

image-662686965.png

Back