i want to put a 5.2 or 5.7 in my yj what exactly do in need

Go to Novak-adapt.com. They have a good list of what you would need and nice knowledge base for conversions. Do all the research you can and everyone here will do their best at filling in the blanks.

Best of luck,

Bacon

You need a low mileage doner engine with exhaust including cats if you want to pass smog at least here in CA. You will need to pull the harness out of your YJ and either splice it yourself and figure it out yourself or you can send it off to a pro. I would suggest the pro as you will be swearing like crazy even if you are a Guru at wiring.

As for doner engine if you can get it get the Transmission also. I have done a few 5.7 and a couple of 5.9. Nice to have a doner from a 4x4 with the transmission IMHO. Also having the exhaust means cut and paste as far as cats and muffler goes. Is nice to have the exhaust and 02 sensors as a unit. We had the best luck with getting the whole thing as a unit but that may not be possible. Also will want to decide if you want to fly by wire or by cable. the 5.7 we did were fly by wire which I don't really like but that is just me.

Am assuming you have a welder to do your motor mounts and such but I am guessing the above stuff will get you started. Good luck!

Thanks for everything so someone told me that I could get a 5.2/5.7 and the bellhousing too and a ax15 transmission and t-case from a 4.0 wrangler and all I would have to do is make mounts and the wiring does anyone know if this is true

yj94 said:
Thanks for everything so someone told me that I could get a 5.2/5.7 and the bellhousing too and a ax15 transmission and t-case from a 4.0 wrangler and all I would have to do is make mounts and the wiring does anyone know if this is true

Hj

You will be money ahead if you source a complete drivetrain (engine/transmission/transfercase/wiring) from a donor vehicle and forget the pricey adapters. Then about the only thing you'll need from Novak or Advance Adapters is the motor mounts.

Do you have a 4 cyl now? 4.0L will pump it up and a 4.6L stroker would be even hotter. There's always the AMC V8 swap possibility too. (Too bad I'm on the left coast. I have a 360/T18A/NP208 for $500. I'm replacing it with a 290 and AX-15 to save some gas)

Back