Ice Road Truckers

I have seen a program on the History Channel on Ice Road Truckers several years ago (back before we moved to the sticks) It was very interesting. I don't know if it is the same one you are refering to, but it didn't look like it would be a boring job! I don't recall them saying what the paycheck was like though.

I have seen a program on the History Channel on Ice Road Truckers several years ago (back before we moved to the sticks) It was very interesting. I don't know if it is the same one you are refering to, but it didn't look like it would be a boring job! I don't recall them saying what the paycheck was like though.

This year, History Channel spent the winter there and started filming a season long show highlighting about 5 drivers. They claim that they can make 50-75K in about 10 weeks making 350 mile one way runs that take 36 hours roundtrip.
My hats off to em', I can't go without sleep that long.:D

i watch that show religiosly. every chance i get. i have my DVR set to record all new episodes. hopefuly this year ill be getting my CDL and in a few years or so ill tackle them ice roads. oh yes i will. i have a love for trucks and the hole trucking lifestyle. its in my blood.

Fascinating to watch but I would not want to drive it...

thats why thay never shut them down. never get them restarted without a block heater.

They showed one guy had a bad alternator so he shut down to replace it then the motor wouldn't crank so he was screwed until they could get it warm enough to start. I watched them once cover the whole engine compartment with tarps then run a 50,000 BTU kerosene heater under it to get one thawed enough to start.

I think hearing the ice crack would give you a pucker like nothing else.:D

Ever been on a frozen lake on a windy day? The ice makes sounds that are, for lack of a better description, other worldly. High pitched squeaks, low pitched moans and groans, staccato crackling, loud booming cracks....it's awesome! My brother and I used to go out on the ice at Cheney Lake just before sunup and record the sounds. He used them for his music, blended them into the songs he was writing at the time. I remember one morning just as the sun was cresting the horizon, I could see what looked like a small cloud of smoke about 250 yards south of me. As I watched, it kept getting closer at a very rapid rate, then I heard the crack coming....it shot between my feet, showering me with a cloud of ice crystals, and kept going to the north as far as I could see, opening up a 1/2" crack in the ice I was standing on! Talk about a pucker factor of 10!!! :shock:

well tonight's episode wasn't all that great, 4 to go

I wonder if they plan on bringing it back next year, I guess ratings will dictate that.

well tonight's episode wasn't all that great, 4 to go

I wonder if they plan on bringing it back next year, I guess ratings will dictate that.

Honestly, none of them have been that great. I think they're hoping for "Deadliest Catch" excitement, but it just isn't there. I tell ya, the 1 hour documentary they showed on the ice road truckers a few years ago was sufficient. There just isn't enough drama or excitement to stretch out over a series.:(

those shots of the guys with frostbite was enough to discourage this cheese head........no amount of money can grow skin.......:cry:

Last edited:
Back