Idoling too low

Dawnie

When I first get in my jeep in the mornings ..even when it is warm out it will sound ok for the first min or so then it drops real low like it wants to stall then picks back up then does it again and today on the 3rd drop it stalled... what could cause that ?
Most times it does it 3 times and then picks up and stays up but today was the 1st time it stalled..

Yes it is a 4,0 ... Ok I will try it Thanks :eek:)
It's starting to drive me nuts lol

Dawnie said:
Yes it is a 4,0 ... Ok I will try it Thanks :eek:)
It's starting to drive me nuts lol

It's a 4.0? I thought you said it was a 4 cylinder....the 4.0 is the 6 cylinder, the 2.5 is the 4 cylinder engine.

LMAOOOO ok now I am thouroghly confused LMAOO
Its a 4 cyl ... what ever that means... I thought thats what he asked DUH ... lol - I am NOOOO mechanic ha ha :oops:

RE: Re: RE: Speedometer not speedometering right

You may still want to clean the throttle body and corresponding sensors. Grab a can of throttle body cleaner, and clean the heck out of that sucker. Its best to pull the throttle body off and replace the gasket at the same time. Have you done a tune up recently? Can also be a MAP sensor, CPS sensor or TPS sensor. You can clean the TPS sensor when cleaning the throttle body.

Dawnie said:
Its a 4 cyl ... what ever that means... I thought thats what he asked DUH ... lol - I am NOOOO mechanic ha ha :oops:

That's OK, don't sweat it. Your Jeep has 4 cylinders, and it's displacement is 2.5 liters. (Same as mine, but mine's a 1994) Other Jeeps have 6 cylinders, with a displacement of 4.0 Liters. That's like you hear of cars with a 327 engine, or a 454 engine, where the 327 is cubic inches of displacement, only on our Jeeps it's metric, and no where near as big as a 327 (oh, sometimes how I wish it were!)

The idle in your 2.5L Rio Grande is computer controlled, so it sounds like a dirty throttle body and sensor. The throttle body is relatively easy to remove and clean. Be sure to clean the IAC housing and motor (attached to the passenger side of the throttle body).

ok .. thanks I will have my dad help me , he will know where to find these things lol .. I am just learning :?

RE: Pics of my XJ-Testing my new Digital Camera

Sparky-Watts said:
Dawnie said:

That's OK, don't sweat it. Your Jeep has 4 cylinders, and it's displacement is 2.5 liters. (Same as mine, but mine's a 1994) Other Jeeps have 6 cylinders, with a displacement of 4.0 Liters. That's like you hear of cars with a 327 engine, or a 454 engine, where the 327 is cubic inches of displacement, only on our Jeeps it's metric, and no where near as big as a 327 (oh, sometimes how I wish it were!)

i think the 6 cyl is someware around 243 ci, but dont quote on that.

RE: Shaking Transmission

its a 242, or 243 depending on who you ask

RE: yj 4.2 urgent case here!!!

Sparky-Watts said:
Snitty said:
its a 242, or 243 depending on who you ask

So that would make the conversion 60.5, right? So I'm driving a 151 ci engine....cool!!!!
There's no exact # that works consistantly.

Examples, would be formula plug-in in parenthesis:

Chevy 350 is a 5.7L (61.4)
Ford 302 is a 5.0L (60.4)
AMC 258 is a 4.2L (61.4)
Jeep 242 is a 4.0L (60.5)
Chevy 454 is 7.2L (63.0)
dodge 318 is a 5.2L (61.2)

If I'm trying to figure out an engine size I usually just multiply the Litres by 61 and that gets me close enough to figure it out.

RE: extra extra read all about it

It's marketing guys. How cool would a 4.976854 emblem look? They round up or down to the simplest and often best sounding number. The ford 5.0 liter is a good example. The 302 is a 4.9 liter, but Ford thought that would sound too small compared to others 5+ liter engines. Go by cubic inches if you're being technical.

Ive searched for answers to spring over axle and cant find

And it's based closer to actual cc's anyway. Instead of a 4.9 liter, it's something like a 4918cc engine, I think.

RE: extra extra read all about it

Cubic centimeters? Are we building motorcycles or volkswagons now? :lol:

Automobile manufacturers here round the liter rating down to the first decimal point. If it's not at least 4950cc then it's a 4.9 liter.

Just call it a 302....which I actually think it's like a 301.xx.....but that's too far to keep up with.

Back