Ignition coil on 76 CJ5, 6 cylinder

Joseph.smith54

I'm in the slow process of breathing life into this CJ5 I recently got. It sat for far too long so I am having to replace the fuel system and someone broke the ignition out of the steering column trying to steel it before I bought it. I'm almost done with the fuel lines. Id like to see if the engine runs. My question is, what wires can I put together to bypass the steering column setup. Can I run a wire straight to the coil and jump my solenoid or will I need a resistor? Ill post pics tonight, hopefully.

I believe 76 had points ignition, if so, you will need a ballast resistor. The ignition wire from key go,s to the ballast and from the ballast to the coil, if you don't use a ballast your points will receive full 12 volts which will burn your points up and probably the coil too. The ballast drops the voltage down to around 9 volts for the coil and points. If you have electronic ignition, no ballast needed.
I would think if you ran a wire straight from the bat to the ballast and jump solenoid it may work for a test start up. Good luck

I think you're right. I believe it has a ballast. I'll try it out tomorrow provided all goes to plan and update you on what I find. I appreciate the advice.

This is what I was talking about. Any clue where I can get a steering wheel shroud?

Attachments

• image-1399560806.jpg
    image-1399560806.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 350
  • image-307959407.jpg
    image-307959407.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 1,724

Holly crap, they wanted that thing out of there bad didn't they. I don't really know, looks like that top portion is a separate piece. The jeep steering column is a GM column, so you could try a junk yard and see what you can find, I would just look for that top portion, but would need to pull the ignition cylinder, steering wheel and unscrew the turn signal lever to pull it off, or just get the whole column

so the 76 cj5 had a normal column and dash? my 76 cj5 has an old old school column and the dash has small gauges in it.

also, my key is on the left side of the column, mounted in the dash

Back