Installing a hitch

Sly8795

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee that I need to install a hitch on. I was wondering if someone could point or explain how to do this.

I went to fleet farm and found a class 3 hitch for 120 bucks and according to the book it doesnt require any drilling. Does this mean there are holes there I can already levarage for the hitch.

Also how do I wire up my lights so they work with trailer lights?

The holes are there but you have to pull the rear bumper to install the hitch.If you look down the frame rail you will see 3 holes on each side along where the hitch will mount.Mine had special nut that had to be used inside the frame rail.

I don't see how a hitch could be universal to all trucks, but I could be wrong

I bought a hitch from uhaul for my old explorer, and it mated up to stock holes - I just had to bolt it on, now welding or drilling. Looks like uhaul has 4 hitches in your price range, give them a try
U-Haul moving supplies: Custom hitches

As for wiring up the lights, they sell plug in connectors to help with trailer lights. Take a look at the write up I did for my wrangler
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/accessories/21682-installing-tow-wiring-wrangler-tj.html

The wiring seems a lot easier then I thought. Does that apply to an older cherokee as well?

When you wired into the one brake wiring that controled your blinkers to?

I can't speak to the Cherokee, but I think they are pretty much all plug and play these days.

I simply unplugged my driver side brake light assembly, and plugged this T adapter in, then reconnected the brake light assembly. This gave my trailer brake lights and turn signals.

I didn't see one for a 1990, but here's a wiring kit for a 91 Cherokee
TAP Wiring Kit for Cherokee 1991-96 | Wiring Kits | Northern Tool + Equipment
image-missing.png

I did some searching and they don't make a plug and play for the 1990 jeep, as usual. I found a universal 4 pin wiring harness online. I guess Ill go to fleet farm and look at them to see if they come with instructions on what to splice into. Does anyone have a diagram if they don't?

I recommend a Test light and a friend to help you with this. Ground the clip of the test lamp and probe the wires on each side of the tail Lamps . take note of the color and their respective functions. after you have found the Right Turn, Left Turn , Running Lamps your ready to wire it up to the 4way connector. i hope this helps.

Attachments

• 4 Way Connector.JPG
    4 Way Connector.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 456

Oh thats a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Now will the wires for both lights be on one side of the jeep or will I need to go to each side to pickup the right and left taillight wires?

If you locate the Harness for the rear lamps where it splits to both sides then you can just splice in from there.

I found the Service Manual for your jeep, unfortunately the schematic diagrams are in black and white and no color coding on them.sorry i cant help you locate the wires by color. the test lamp will be your best friend at this point.

Back