Interesting day in the snow

Snitty

Well.. the day started as a normal 10" snowfall day. I started by getting in the YJ and on my route to getting the local businesses and old people driveways done. half of the day went by and I get a phone call. It was a good friend of mine, we'll call him KB, his brother's friend called from a trail in the woods and was stuck pretty good. My friend and I seem to be the ones people call whenever they are stuck. In the past few weeks, we could have opened a small business and lived comfortably on just pulling people out of ditches and banks, we even succeeded in using my YJ to pull out a full sized moving truck. It was about 1PM when I put the plowing on halt and decided to go play hero. We switched over to our trailmaster attitudes and headed up the trail... it was a fresh 2 feet of snow, nothing that a beginner should be running on.. and that is exactly what we found stuck in the snow... it was a bunch of teens enjoying the pleasures of 4 wheel drive in their parents' 94 grand cherokee. At least they knew what to go out with. At first, I jump in to see what I could do with the E-brake, rocking, hopping, wheel turning, and weight tranfer tricks... it was a no go. so I then dug around the tires to get them free... still no go from the seat... out come the chains... I hooked them up to my YJ.... ON 3!!! 1, 2, 3!!!... nope.. Then we hooked up the KB's 4Runner to my rear for a train tugging effect... still no go... everyone's spinning, and the monster meats on the 4runner are cutting new ruts. NOW WHAT!!!??? hmmm... YESSSS... I remembered that I grabbed my come-along from the garage a few days back. That will surely do the trick, it always works... poop... there were no trees to anchor to... and the vehicles would slide if pulled against the buried weight. after a few more minutes of digging and pondering... BOOM... there's the idea... I put all of the equipment down... jumped back in my jeep, backed up... steamed forward and dropped the plow... the snow's flowing, building up, and eventually the plow snags the solid ice under the snow... there's our anchor... hooded a chain to my plow mounts... come-along to the victim, other end to the chain... put the victim in reverse... crank, crank, crank, etc... about 15 minutes later.... there it was... a set of 4 ice ruts coated with burnt rubber from its near meal... all was good... backed up the cherokee... BOOM... slid sideways on the trail RIGHT at the edge of a creek, resting in another deep one. now that is where we don't want to be... so... back goes the plow..slams in again... and we start cranking, cranking, cranking... give the signal for my jeep to be backed up to pull the poor guy back... victory was ours... loaded the equipment, and off we go... after reversing down the trail for about 1.5 miles, it was now almost 4PM... we meet a man in a blazer headin toward the trail... he was on his way to test out his new tires... we warned him not to... but his macho mannerism led him to "show us who's boss"... Well... I should have given him my cell phone number... because later, while listening to the police scanner.. we get the story... after his wife hadn't heard from him in 4 hours... the sheriff's dept went to investigate.... sure enough, there he was.... EXACT spot... stuck... all of their attempts were proven unjeepworthy, and the poor guys blazer is still in the woods as I am writing this at 3:30AM... but, he should have had his mind right.. when he saw 3 machines leaving the trail telling him NOT to try it... he probably should have listened. The moral of the story is.... "buy a jeep, just because"

edited by: Snitty, Feb 18, 2003 - 08:34 AM[addsig]

Snitty haven any fun yet? Jeep adventure in the snow with chains come alongs and such! You gotta love the life style or else you could never understand it. Dont know what is more fun being the one pullin em out or being the one getting stuck. Both are better than setting home and dreaming about it. lol! Bet the teenagers see you as some sort of Trail god now. Good going! Tug[addsig]

Toys and snow,who woulda thought it would turn into such a bad stuck.Funny stuff. :wink: Sully[addsig]

tell me the kids gave you generous sums of $$, and what kinda lift and such do you have on your YJ?[addsig]

I can add another interesting snow story to this thread as well-
Today me and my boss had to deliver a whirlpool tub to this house we are working at. Now keep in mind that in western NY we have gotten plenty of snow. Now this house is only a summer/weekend type of house so the owners have not been there all winter to plow or have any type of snowremoval done. This house lies on top of a hill with lots of trees and such, which has the 1 lane road plowed, but they don't have their driveway plowed. So, on top of the already 3 ft of powder we have 5 ft tightly packed snowbanks to get thru first. My boss plows with a 96 F350 diesel truck that we thought could take care of the snowbanks. We were right, kinda. After the second hit into the snowbank he was good and stuck since under the snow was pure ice. I had a trailer on the Jeep that had the tub on it so after I dropped that off I came back to the rescue. A chain, 4LO and a little tugin and we got him out. After another hour of him plowin we finally got the driveway cleared. It was only about 60-70 yards long but since there was so much snow it took a long time. And the help of BigBlackJeep to keep the truck goin when he got a little anxious on how much to plow at one time... :-D :-D [addsig]

I've got a stock lift YJ with an replaced added strength leaf and a monster bump stop in the front and tired springs reinforced with air shocks in the rear... I got $0.00 for the rescue[addsig]

Got stuck again today... I was letting a friend use 4x4 for his first time... he didn't seem to want to go in the direction I told him to go... because you know, he's never been offroading and that would make him know more than my experienced mind. So... a few hours in there, many failures... broken come-along... So I got pissed and went to the hardware store and bought the heavy bastard... that machine plus about 40' of chain was the key to my rescue there.[addsig]

We all know how those 1st timers know so much. I just wish I could take an import driver on every off-roading trip so he could tell me everything I am doing wrong and the proper way to do it.

hahaha- i can hear it now....

"If we had NOS we would have never gotten stuck...."

:lol: :lol: [addsig]

haha... the kid that got me stuck.... he's a civic driver... after the incident... I told him to stick to his imports[addsig]

Funny import drivers!!! Cant live with'em,cant live without'em.:lol: Sully[addsig]

dang man you got shafted, you shoulda made them all empty their wallets in your hand before you even started messin with their jeep. or at least made them roll around in the snow naked for like 20 minutes lol.[addsig]

jeepmaster - maybe YOU would enjoy watching a bunch of guys roll around naked in the snow... but not me! :) haha

sorry, you set yourself up for it...
-nate[addsig]

I wouldn't pay to see that. :wink: Sully[addsig]

damnit lol. i suppose i was askin for it. but it was the PRINCIPAL of putting them through extreme pain and uncomfort that was the point lol. i have NO interest in seeing naked men. damn lol[addsig]

Back