Interesting gun law statistics

TwistedCU

Copied from a Pennsylvania gun forum... Thought it was interesting:

Ever have someone suggest gun laws help reduce crime??? Read on...

Comparing the six states with the MOST restrictions against honest firearms owners to the six states with the LEAST restrictions against honest firearms ownership:

The States and areas with the most restrictions against firearms ownership
Murder rates per 100,000 in 1991: Figures from the FBI
California 12.7 per 100,000
Illinois 11.3 per 100,000
Washington D.C. 80.6 per 100,000
Marlyand 11.7 per 100,000
Michigan 10.8 per 100,000
New York 14.2 per 100,000

The States and areas with the least restrictions against firearms ownership
Murder rates per 100,000 in 1991: Figures from the FBI
Idaho 1.8 per 100,000
Iowa 2.0 per 100,000
Maine 1.2 per 100,000
Montana 2.6 per 100,000
North Dakota 1.1 per 100,000
South Dakato 1.7 per 100,000

Number of Guns in U.S. Approx. 200 million firearms; 60-65 million handguns
Gun Owners in U.S. 60-65 million; 30-35 million own handguns
Firearms Used for Protection 11% of firearms owners and 13% of handgun owners
Criminal Misuse of Firearms Yearls Less than 0.2% of firearms, less than 0.4% of handguns
No Supreme Court Decision has ever held the right to keep and bear arms to be collective. All four relevant Supreme Court decisions have recognized that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. Over 99.8% of U.S. firearms and 99.6% of U.S. handguns will NOT be involved in criminal activity in any given year. Survey research suggests that about 645,000 Americans every year use handguns for protection from burglars, robbers, rapists, assailants, would-be murderers, etc.

Kennesaw, GA. In 1982, this suburb of Atlanta passed a law requiring heads of households to keep at least one weapon in the house. The residential burglary rate subsequently dropped 89% in Kennesaw, compared to the modest 10.4% drop in Georgia as a whole.

Ten years later (1991), the residential burglary rate in Kennesaw was still 72% lower than it had been in 1981, before the law was passed.

Orlando, FL. In 1966-67, the media highly publicized a safety course which taught Orlando women how to use guns. The result: Orlando's rape rate dropped 88% in 1967, whereas the rape rate remained constant in the rest of Florida and the nation.

In 1979, the Carter Justice Department found that of more than 32,000 attempted rapes, 32% were actually committed. But when a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes were actually successful.

In 1985, the National Institute for Justice reported that:

3/5 of felons polled agreed that "a criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun."

74% of felons polled agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime."

57% of felons polled agreed that "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."

Question:
"why would anyone need a gun to defend themselves?"

Answer:
"Because beating an assailant to death is alot of work"

take a look at the f'n states. California to S Dakota... no s*%@ compton is gonna be killing more people then the ranch towns.... that was stupid stats... its common sense.

Uhmmm, thats per capita. And I would be scared out of my mind to try and rob a ranch, a house in a downtown city, not so much.

If you tried to rob a house in downtown Oakland, you'd end up tortured then shot, not just shot.

that reminded me of what the Korean businesses did during the Rodney King riots. When the rioters came down the street looting with clubs and pistols, the Koreans stepped outside with Tech-9's:lol: :lol:

take a look at the f'n states. California to S Dakota... no s*%@ compton is gonna be killing more people then the ranch towns.... that was stupid stats... its common sense.

Do you even know what "per capita" means?:roll:

EDIT: Never mind, I see TC has already addressed the issue.

Last edited:

Twisted - Did you see the latest gun legislation in Pennsylvania being brought to the table? Here's a write-up on nra-ila.org and the direct link to House Bill No. 760

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2835

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2007&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0760&pn=0881

Yes, I have seen it. There is a constant wave of proposed anti-gun laws being presented in almost every state. Fortunately you and I live in PA where they are voted down 95% of the time. Bills like this one disgust me, especially since the PA constitution clearly states that a gun registry will never be allowed. Stinkin' anti's :evil:

If you haven't already, check out the Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association. Good, informative website and a forum. The forum has some good info at times, but also some real "Characters" too, so check it out at your own discretion ;)

Received this in my e-mail yesterday
image-missing.png

Bills like this one disgust me, especially since the PA constitution clearly states that a gun registry will never be allowed. Stinkin' anti's

I'm with you on that one.... where's that $10 per firearm going to end up? My guess is for another last-minute legislator pay raise. "Register your guns to control crime!" they cry... since when does a criminal register anything they're not supposed to have?

The only thing this bill does is hurt the law-abiding citizen... again! First our rights, then our wallets.

Back