Intermittent Wipers, Directionals, and Radio

Gemini79

Hello helpful Jeepers,

I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Just recently the radio doesn't come on like it normally would. I noticed that while the radio is not working neither does the directionals, or the windshield wipers. Each of the fuses behind the glove box are fine. Can anyone help?:cry:

The XJ I just bought has no power to the wipers, turn signals, blower, or radio. I googled it today and read that this may be caused by corroded terminals on the ignition switch. Can anyone verify this? All fuses and relays test fine.

Thanks,
~Rovin

Ignition switches are a common problem. The contacts become overheated, especially if you use the heater fan on the highest settings often. Also, the terminals and wires in the connector become overheated. You don't have to replace the entire wiring harness. Just cut the two overheated terminals out of the melted plastic, and cut off three to four inches of the wires. The overheated part will feel stiff, and solder won't bond real well to it. You need to find nice shiny copper, then splice in a few inches of new wire the same size, and solder on new terminals. Crimp-type terminals are fine, but solder them after crimping them for a more reliable connection.

The switch should be replaced too. It's not very difficult, but it's hard to describe. The dealer can complete this repair in about an hour.

caradiodoc

Back