Is Black Diamond better than a Rancho lift for a CJ7

Jordan

I started to order a Rancho 2.5" lift kit today for my 78 CJ 7 but the sales guy started talking me out of it. He thought that Black Diamond made a better product that would last longer what do you think?
He wasnt trying to sale me some thing more exspensive either.

What shocks should i go with?

RE: Dana 44s Rebuild Kits

Do Black Diamond shocks not come with the kit? If so, I've always had good experiences with them. Actually, that's what I currently have on my Chevy pickup and I really like them.

As for the springs themselves, I can't help you there.

GO with an adjustabe shock for sure. I like the rancho RS 9000. I can turn them full stiff for stabiliy on road and full soft for a not so rough ride off road. As for the springs. I had the 2.5 rancho springs, they were really stiff. I mean really stiff. I would go another route if I went for a 2.5. Maybe the BDS or RE.

RE: Preparing for the

I've heard that black diamond is top of the line. However, I run rancho 2.5" springs and shocks and they definately make quality suspensions. The stiffness lets you hit the trails that much harder while still flexing a fair amount, I ramp somewhere around 700. Rancho is advertised as producing racing suspensions, and racing suspensions do make for a rough ride. BDS is definately designed more for a smooth ride and articulation, while rancho might soak up the bumps (or jumps) better. Let's just say I've never maxed out the suspension from driving too fast offroad, and stability is not as much of an issue as I would have expected. Both make good springs, I only wish I had more experience with bds to really be able to compare the two brands.

RE: Mud

The only thing I can tell you about Black Diamond is they use flat seats on thier springs like Old Man Emu. This should result in a better ride and better flex offroad.

If they are comparably priced I'd avoid Rancho. Not because they don't make a good product but for the ride stiffness.

also Black Diamond is made by Warn, so the customer service should be good! also IMHO Rancho is over priced!

RE: Just when I thought I was a mans man....

Superlift owns Black Diamond now.

Dude the newest Qtec catalog has a great write up on shocks. The differences between gas charged and hydraulic, mono or twin tubed. All about piston diameter,ect. Really good stuff.

Back