Is it worth it

avyoung

A guy in my club is selling a set of axles. I am wondering if it is worth picking up.

AMC 20 with Superier 1 piece axleshafts and a detroit locker. 3.07 gears
Dana 30 front with Superwinch hubs 3.07 gears
$500

Mine are stock and looking at the price of the detroit and 1piece axles I am seriously thinking about it.

Looks worth it to me, especially if you have 2.72 or 3.07 axle gears already. The price of the Detroit and shafts are worth that alone.

What axle ratio do you have now? It'll be a slight improvement if you have 2.72 now.
Are they same width as your stock axles? Widetrac or Narrowtrac?

The guy that sold it to me told me it had 3.77 but I don't think it does. I do not have the tab that says what they are.

Well I decided to get the axles. I offered 400 and he took it so I am going to pick them up Saturday. I am not sure when I will get time to do it but I am pretty excited to get a locker.

count the teeth on the ring and divid it by the number of teeth on the pinion....that should tell you what gear ration you have..also if it is 3.73 you have the bigger carrier which means going to steeper gears like 4.56 or 4.88 will be easier.

Also, if you get on flat ground, put the jeep in neutral and mark the tire with chalk in one place. Then count the number of rotations the driveshaft completes when the tire makes 1 full rotation. If it's almost 3 -> 2.72. If it looks like 3 exactly, 3.07. Etc. My axles didn't have the tag either and that's how I found out I have 4.10s. (this was before I knew that most 2.5L YJ's come with 4.10s.)

C

Back