Jeep Audio

jeepmaster

I know audio doesn't mean a whole lot to some of you guys, but I've got a question about it. I recently managed to blow up both of my Infinity 5 1/4" speakers in the sound bar in my XJ (again) and was wondering if anyone knew any sites that sold sound bars that could hold a larger speaker (like 6x9) that can handle more abuse? So far I haven't even been able to find a single soundbar for an XJ, much less one that can hold real speakers. Thanks!

Sounds like ya otta just either get higher watt speakers, or lower watt amps.

I'm running Infinity Kappa speakers, they max out at 165, RMS'ing around 70. No amp on the speakers either, my deck pushes 50x4. I enjoy loud music and these little guys can't handle it. If you know of any speakers that RMS higher, let me know. Infinity has, in the past, worked wonderfully for me. However these 5 1/4 are the smallest speakers I've ever had too.

If your sound bar is like the one in my tj then there should be plenty of room for a pair of 6X9's. Just cut the holes bigger to fit the speakers and then drill some new mounting holes.

It might not be the actual power that is harming the speakers. If your stereo is putting out a bad signal to noise ratio, then you are overworking the speakers. If you are putting 50 watts into speakers that can handle a 70 watt signal, just about the only thing that can harm them is a disturbed signal.

you could probably cut bigger holes in that sound bar, i had mine down to throw in a set of SONY 5.25's...

just buy something higher quality so you don't blow them out again.

Snitty said:
It might not be the actual power that is harming the speakers. If your stereo is putting out a bad signal to noise ratio, then you are overworking the speakers. If you are putting 50 watts into speakers that can handle a 70 watt signal, just about the only thing that can harm them is a disturbed signal.

Yup. I'd bet it's not from being overpowered that they are toasted. Distortion is likely what killed them. Tear the damaged speakers apart and I bet the voice coils are burnt. Getting bigger speakers won't help, as the same result will occur.

You need cleaner power, and now another set of speakers.

If you crank up the stereo and it sounds distorted, you are throwing straight DC voltage to your speakers... not good.

In the future, if it distorts turn it down. If you want it louder, buy a good clean amplifier.

Last edited:

Yep, x2 on what snitty and twisted said. Bigger speakers will do the exact same thing.

I have 5 1/4 blaupunkt's (sp) in the sound bar and in the dash. Had to cut the dash holes bigger. I also have a 10 inch blaupunkt sub in the back with an amp just pushing the sub. I haven't had any problems yet.

I've got a Pioneer Premier head unit that pushes 50x4 , the speaker didn't sound distorted it just blew, and the voice coils aren't burnt out. I'm going to rip out the wiring for the front speakers and re-wire with bigger gauge and better wire, I'm betting I find a bunch of splices. As far as nicer speakers, these are Infinity Kappas not some junk brand.

infinity.... you pay for the name.

unfortunately they by no means live up to it anymore. such is the way with any audio co. They all have had their hey day. but greed gets the best of em'. the bean counters start cutting corners to save money, sacrificing quality.

sound quality, infinity as a factory option, is ok at best, usually factory crossed over and amplified to match the speaker, any variation such as change in the deck or after market amplification, they aint gonna hang. factory infinity style decks only put a low level signal out. an after market deck will send a high level output to the infinity amps, way too strong of a signal. any distortion becomes magnified as well, being sent to a speaker designed to be ran with much less.

quality doesnt have to expensive, but it is priceless.

consider this, the price of two sets of speakers (since you blew the first pair), could bought a set of mb quarts for that much the first time, and you'de still have kick arse speakers.

for those on a budget,(arent we all), a relatively new americn co. that is on the up and up, is ARC audio, im running them all around ,in my dash and a set of 6x9's in the back, 100 watts to each speaker. the rear x9's sit atop a 12" sub getting 400 watts. i already had the deck and the amp to power all the mid/high range. but for a set of fronts, rears, sub, and sub amp, to get out the door under 6 bills aint bad at all.

no i dont work for ARC, but i do work with a shop that sells em'. unfortunately, for me, with set market pricing, i couldnt get a playa price.

(another thing you get with high end, a warranty, run em till they blow)

one last,

4x50 = 4 channels @ 50 watts a piece

50x4 = 4 channels @ 12.5 watts a piece (assuming the deck isnt over rated, which most of the big box brands a prone to do)

Back