Jeep blows oil when towing

scottz

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee sport 4x4, 4.0. When Im towing my popup camper and going up steep hillls my jeep will blow out alot of oil. It looks as if it is comming from the oil filter. But the oil filter is tight. Then when I checked the oil level it was a quart over. It only does this when Im towing my popup, not at all during normal driving conditions. Where is the oil blowing out from and why? Anyone?

There is an o-ring that is between the oil filter adapter and block, it could be bad. Other than that, make sure it's not overfull.

I changed the oil again in my 4.0, 6 quarts of oil. drove it for a day checked the level its already a half quart over. Doesnt look like Im loosing any coolant. But where else would it come from?

Forgive my lack of technical jargon. My RV had a similar problem when I first got it.

I took the intake manifold off of the engine to see what was happening. There was a large carbon deposit just under the Intake manifold. If it would have fallen into the engine, it would have destroyed the engine. During a repair prior to my haveing the RV, there was a gasket above the intake manifold that had two openings for a pollution control device. They ignored those openings. They installed a gasket that just covered them. The carbon deposit was what resulted from that glaring lack of technical care.

I put the proper gasket on, re-installed everything and it ran fine after.

Re: Oil level is gaining...

I do not know if you have an electric or mechanical fuel pump, but if mechanical, check to see if you are getting fuel in the crankcase. Either that or coolant, but you'd notice coolant levels going down, and sometimes a mechanical gas pump failing will leak on the ground, sometimes into the oil pan. Either leaks must be addressed before major damage occurs.

Sometimes when you work a tired old engine hard, gas will get past the piston rings and in to the crankcase. I'd pull a sample of the oil and have it analysis run on it to know what it is for sure. Cost may run $75.00 to $125.00 depending on where you take it.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
check to make sure the pcv is clean and clear.may build up to much crankcase pressure under heavy use.mine was plugged with a bit of carbon and kept blowing valve cover gasket.good luck....

I changed the oil again in my 4.0, 6 quarts of oil. drove it for a day checked the level its already a half quart over. Doesnt look like Im loosing any coolant. But where else would it come from?

If you just changed the oil and not the filter , you should only use 5 and a half quarts of oil. 6qts with oil filter.

I have a Grand Cherokee with 4.7 L V8. Get oil changed at WalMart and noticed
that the front of my Travel Trailer would get covered with oil. Checked and found that the 6 Qts their info requires, it blows by. Had them lower it to 5 1/2
qts and all ok. Have to tell them each time.

Back