Jeep buying questions need answers asap

PIR8

Hey guys im new here, i really want to get a manual 4.0 L 6 cyl Wrangler but I just found out I might not be able to. Im really hoping you can help. The towing capacity as Im sure you all know is 2000 lbs. I have a 15" boat thats 1100 lbs net so I assume the outboard is not included in that (185 lbs more) and the trailer Im assuming is anywhere from 350 lbs to maybe 500? No idea, cant find a model or brand on it, but I doubt it its anywhere near 700 lbs.

Would 1100+185+700 (worst case) be a problem to tow?
Would 1100+185+400 be no problem at all?

I know there are other factors like the boat taking on water, gas weight, equipment that need to be considered. Also I heard that tongue weight is of importance- how can I calculate it? Is it possible without having the Jeep there and knowing the correct hitch height etc?

Now lets say I wanted to add a 4" susp lift and 33x12.5x15s on 15x10s, would that actually help towing because of the weight and stance or make it more dangerous considering the boat mentioned?

Has anyone checked the towing capacity on the new Unlimited? Since its 15" or so inches longer does that solve all towing issues?

As for the gears, im looking at used late model Wranglers, maybe 1997-2002? Do these come with 4.10s? What would be best for the wheel/tire combo mentioned? For on the road, towing, light offroad.

Lastly, I dont know about everyone else but I like the old rectangular headlights and grille on Wranglers, anyone know of a place that sells a conversion for the years mentioned that could give me that look?

Got my bucking problem squared away

I think the biggest thing with the towing capasity is the wheelbase of the Jeep. If you get too much weight on it the boat will be driving the Jeep. I would think that the Unlimited would have a higher towing capacity. If you are close you should be OK just drive cautiously. It looks like your worst case is under 2000 lbs so you should be OK. If you add the bigger tires it will not tow as strong unless you regear. The 6 cyl does not usually come with 4.10 from what I have heard. I think the 5 speed is something like 3.73 and auto is 3.07 but I am not sure on that. I know some buy the axles from 4 cyl jeeps that have the 4.10 I guess it is cheeper than swapping gears. If you have a Dana 44 rear than you would not want to do that.

I do not know a lot about TJ's but this should be a start.

The towing capacity is more than likely a guesstimate of the sum of a combination of things: axle size and rating, spring rate, axle gearing, and brake size.
I personally believe they also use a service factor of 1.5 as corporate CYA (cover your ass).
I would think that unless you are running a 4 cylinder with 38's. Then you should be able to tow that boat all day every day. Just make sure that you plan ahead for stops until you get used to the braking change.
If the boat takes on water and the Jeep doesn't want to pull it up the ramp, shift it into 4 Low for some extra torque. Then pull the drain plug when you get it out and go back to 2WD.

You shouldn't have any problem. I towed a 1800 lb boat (empty weight) + trailer + fuel, etc. without a problem. It kills your gas mileage but that's it. Just be sure you have a real tow hitch (with the hitch bolted to the frame)...not just one of those bumber hitch receivers. Most bumper hitch receivers are usually rated only for getting vehicles unstuck.

I'm going pic crazy here, but to give you an idea, I'm including a pic of a 22' boat which I had and pulled frequently with my YJ. I sold my boat about a year ago and, looking at these pictures, I even kinda miss it. As the saying goes, the 2 best days of being a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. That was kind of true...but with a few nice sunny days on the lake sprinked in between. Anyway, the point is that this was pretty big boat, was within the rating (just barely...or just a hair over) and gave me no problem. You definiately have to account for a longer stopping distance though...be over conservative until you get used to it.

I also know someone who went substantially over the rated capacity of the Wrangler (~4K+ lbs) on an almost every other day basis...it torqued the frame over time.

The hitch set up (direct tie to frame):
image-missing.png

The 2K lb boat:
image-missing.png

you guys are awesome, I even get pics!
I understand that it will not tow as strong with 33s and I probably will re-gear at some point, didnt realize it was more expensive than an axle. As for the stock gears I thought on another board I saw someone mention 4.10s are standard and for 33s or 35s 4.56 or something like that is better but I guess im wrong. The CYA factor definitely plays a role after speaking to a Jeep dealer. I did see something mentioned about tongue weight not exceeding 200 lbs somewhere, anyone know how that can be measured without having the actual Jeep? Im sure its not as simple as dropping the tongue on a scale on the ground :) That wouldnt make much sense.
That boat in the picture thats less than 15 ft right? I was looking at jetboats around 13ft a while back but these new ones out there you never know they get bigger all the time. Looks pretty light in the pic but Im sure the single or dual jet adds to the weight. The hitches I always stay on the safe side with, never used the built in bumper one, even for a jetski I had a class III. Sure is different towing a 15 footer on a full width trailer than a jetski, more stable though just have to take it easy.

The one in the pic is about 22 feet...maybe 21. I don't recall the exact specs offhand. Yamaha has a 15' model, I think, but this one was the larger one.

Also, I had/have 33s on my YJ with stock gears and stock axles...still had no problem towing this puppy.

No problem on the pics, you'll just have to have all over when you take out for a spin. :D

Buy the Jeep, lift it and put on the bigger tires. Then, if it won't pull the boat.....SELL THE BOAT!!!! :wink:

Transmission Question

dont worry, thats an option as well :)
before i go searching, can someone tell me if ford wheels will fit a TJ? i remember them being 5x4.5 and fitting on a cherokee once when i tried so i should have no problem right? (in terms of bolts not size). I think theyre 15x10s with 3.75 offset

Ford Ranger rims will fit a jeep no problem...dont know about the other models...if theyre the 5 hole 5x4.5 pattern they will...i just put some 31 inch tires on mine with nice shiney ford ranger rims (minus center caps) and they fit perfect...beat the rusted old stock rims i had with crappy plastic SNAP IN center caps

I want to say the unlimited has a towing capacity of 2500 lbs, an addt 500 with the increased legnth. But you would be OK with a "REAL" wrangler. OOPs, did i say that?

only 500 more? then theres really no reason for one, other than the increased room inside. but that lifted Unlimited on 35s on ebay sure looked good

anyone seen a photo of a wrangler on 31x12.5 15 on 15x10s? i know it would look funny but thats what i have left over from a ford and since they would fit....for now....i wonder how much lift would be needed, i guess theres no way on stock height so id have to do a 4" susp right from the start, unless theres a $30 shackle solution or something

what does a budget 2" lift consist of? shackles in the rear and coils in the front? sorry im used to torsion bars and single vs multi leaf springs where i come from :)

is there a way to fit a rollcage under a hard top in a wrangler? seems like the plastic or whatever is used doesnt do too well in rollovers, not that Im ever planning to be in one. would be nice if they made a hardtop with a sunroof too, not that 4 piece hardtop thing

Ok ok, I never read what kind of wrangler you mean, do you mean a YJ or a TJ. I am assuming YJ because you mentioned shackles. The roll cage in tge later YJ's are not that bad. It will protect you from a roll over and fit under your top. Better than the lame little roll bars the CJ's and early YJ's have. I think you can take off the two bars that run over your head to the windshield. YJ - leaf spring all around
TJ - coil springs.

i guess my email notify quit on me. i meant ive used shackles before to do a budget boost on other makes of trucks. im interested in getting a TJ and was wondering whether they come with some sort of roll cage underneath the factory top (hard) or whether id have to put one in. so TJs have coils in front and leafs in back?

TJ's have a roll bar already installed. You can easily take off the hard top and put on a soft top, or off alltogether and the rollbar is always there.

thats cool, i guess it just has the thinner foam on it unlike people that dont hard tops over them and the cage looks really beefy.

ok so lets say i get a 98-2004 TJ, 6 cyl, manual, is there any other options i should look for, i mean do they come with different gear ratios or axles or anything or theyre all the same in those years? for now i guess ill stick with my 31x12.5x15s on 15x10s with 3.75 offset so i dont have to buy new wheels yet, whats the quickest way to get the clearance for them? something i could do myself. someone mentioned 2" should be enough. also something that wouldnt ride like crap. anyone have part numbers for what i would need or links? im hoping no driveshaft etc mods are needed for 2"
thanks

hard top for wrangler

one more thing, how is driving a stick with 33s or 35s on 10" rims? Id rather go with a stick but if its a pain to shift+get up to speed im considering auto. I cant believe I just said that.

Back