Jeep feels like weight is shifting when I stop.

godzilla1

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. I beieve it has anti-lock brakes. When I come to a stop it feels like weight is shifting forward and I feel sort of like a clunk. It doesn't happen every time I stop so ot os kind of intermittent. It only happens when the Jeep is in "Drive", when I put it into "neutral" it doesn't happen. Could this be a caliper problem or a speed sensor problem or???? Any ideas? Thanks!

godzilla1 said:
I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. I beieve it has anti-lock brakes. When I come to a stop it feels like weight is shifting forward and I feel sort of like a clunk. It doesn't happen every time I stop so ot os kind of intermittent. It only happens when the Jeep is in "Drive", when I put it into "neutral" it doesn't happen. Could this be a caliper problem or a speed sensor problem or???? Any ideas? Thanks!

Check control arm mounts see if they have opened up the bolt hole if so weld some washers on that will fix it if its the problem

Jeepkid46 said:
Check control arm mounts see if they have opened up the bolt hole if so weld some washers on that will fix it if its the problem

Agreed. Happened to me same as you said. Clunk just before stop. Bad control arm bushing.

dustin g said:
Agreed. Happened to me same as you said. Clunk just before stop. Bad control arm bushing.

Could be that or the mount on the axle could have gotten bigger from the bolt

OK not the control arms. I noticed also that it only happens when the jeep is in 2 wheel drive. In 4 wheel drive it does not happen. Any more ideas what be greatly appreciated. Thanks

godzilla1 said:
OK not the control arms. I noticed also that it only happens when the jeep is in 2 wheel drive. In 4 wheel drive it does not happen. Any more ideas what be greatly appreciated. Thanks

How did you check

godzilla1 said:
I checked them for play and visually inspected them. The bushings had no play. Any other ideas? Thanks

Pull out a bolt and look at the hole

Check the upper ball joint on the rear axle as well.
808bfe17-1.gif

Back