Jeep production staying in US

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep production is staying in the United States, but Chrysler is considering building a full line of Jeeps in China as well, for the local market. Chinese trade policy imposes extremely high taxes on imported cars, making the sale of US-made Jeeps in China extremely difficult.

In the 1980s and 1990s, a joint venture, Beijing Jeep, was successful with their line of Chinese-built Jeeps. After Daimler took over Chrysler, they also took over the joint venture, which now builds Mercedes for the local market.

Presidential candidate Mitt Romney, last night, took a report from right-wing blogs and repeated it to a crowd of people, claiming that Chrysler planned to shift production from the US to China. The original Bloomberg story merely stated that Jeep “may eventually make all of its models” in China — but also carefully noted that production would not be moved from the United States. The blogs did not report on that aspect of the original article.

Romney’s father famously ran American Motors, which purchased Jeep from Kaiser and was later purchased, with Jeep, by Chrysler. His campaign did not respond to followup queries, but a Chrysler spokesman stated that Jeep had no intention of transferring any production to China.

Cerberus leaders had reportedly tried to sell Chrysler to Chinese automakers, without success, during the brief period when Cerberus owned the company.

Article on Allpar - News: Jeep production staying in US

I am glad to hear this. I read about this on the drudge report, and I just could not imagine that such an icon as the jeep, in particular the Wrangler, would be built overseas,especially in China. And I certainly could not see the Toledo plant shutting down.

Back